Misfire After Harmonic Balancer Replaced

Deanbl

On my 2012 Ford Edge, 2.0L Ecoboost I recently had to replace the harmonic balancer.  After having to search for 2 weeks I found the part and replaced the balancer.  The balancer is keyless, I followed the ford TCM procedure, using the necessary tools to stop the crank, lock the cam, and when complete re-align the timing sensor.  When I was finished, the CEL was flashing and I could feel a slight misfire.  I took to a local mechanic to have them perform the "Misfire Monitor Neutral Correction".  They told me they did the procedure, I can only take their word that they did the right one.  However, the car is still throwing misfire codes.

Any thoughts?

My first inclination is to rotate to TDC and re-do the crank sensor alignment.  

• 3 months later...

Sounds like classic timing symptoms. You messed with parts which directly affect timing - now you are having a misfire. I would first check to make sure the vehicle is timed properly. Pending that I would check all plugs / coils / springs to make sure everything is still there and functioning properly. Also check the wires  for the coils / plugs are securely connected. I have only had my edge for less than a year so I haven't done too much work on one of these vehicles but I've been doing car repairs for about 20 years and this is the sort of thing I've seen happen a lot.