Heater core or H2o Pump?

I need help! A couple of months back, I noticed a small amount of coolant lost from the tank. It was probably a 1/4 inch below the full when cold line so not too bad. I filled it up with water and it eventually was lost again and not back to the same level. I recently noticed my heater is warm along with defroster, both use to be hot. Last, I kind of notice a small odor of fish or urine when I run the heater or defroster for a few seconds. I then felt what I believe is the coolant inlet hose (top hose) in the engine bay that goes to the heater core. It was warm. The bottom hose which I believe is the outlet hose was HOT. Im not sure if this is a sign of a bad heater core or water pump issue since the top hose isn't very hot. Im assuming that maybe the pump isn't pumping much coolant to the heater core but not sure why I would smell coolant. 

Any ideas? It's a 2013 Edge SE with 91k on the odo. Im considering renting a coolant pressure tester to test the heater core but not sure if that would work with the engine cold and thermostat closed. 

2 hours ago, Father of Ford 702 said:

I need help! A couple of months back, I noticed a small amount of coolant lost from the tank. It was probably a 1/4 inch below the full when cold line so not too bad. I filled it up with water and it eventually was lost again and not back to the same level. I recently noticed my heater is warm along with defroster, both use to be hot. Last, I kind of notice a small odor of fish or urine when I run the heater or defroster for a few seconds. I then felt what I believe is the coolant inlet hose (top hose) in the engine bay that goes to the heater core. It was warm. The bottom hose which I believe is the outlet hose was HOT. Im not sure if this is a sign of a bad heater core or water pump issue since the top hose isn't very hot. Im assuming that maybe the pump isn't pumping much coolant to the heater core but not sure why I would smell coolant. 

Any ideas? It's a 2013 Edge SE with 91k on the odo. Im considering renting a coolant pressure tester to test the heater core but not sure if that would work with the engine cold and thermostat closed. 

If you are noticing a smell that is coming from your air vents, that points to heater core. Anything going wrong with the WP would not be doing that.