Just towed my car 800 miles at 14.95mpg

I just got back from a trip to a car show and I decided to haul the car there and back because I had my 6yr old son with me ( you never know what might happen with a 30yr old british car) The car and trailer have a combined weight of 3250lbs with about 200lbs on the tongue. Pulled like a dream and did not even know it was there except for when hitting the odd bump in the road, then you could feel it behind the Edge but other than that it was fine going up hill only downshifting on the step stuff which there was not much of. Set the cruise control at 70mph and got 14.95 mpg with the AC on and my son playing video games all the way to keep occupied. Was a great trip and have no worries about the way it pulled the car on the trailer. The trailer is a custom built 3500lb float(no suspention) with brakes and weighs 800lbs ( was built specificaly for this car keeping in mind the 3500lb towing capacity of the Edge)

post-2014-1222447459_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...
I did a 500 miles round trip with my boat avreging about 75mph and got mid 14s mpg

Fantasic, just curious do you have the towing package and what is the weight of the boat/trailer combo.

I noticed from your picture your in Florida, any problems with the Edge running much hotter than normal? I imagine there wasn't to any hills from your milage.

Fantasic, just curious do you have the towing package and what is the weight of the boat/trailer combo.

I noticed from your picture your in Florida, any problems with the Edge running much hotter than normal? I imagine there wasn't to any hills from your milage.

Yes I do have the towing package. Actually, I spent some time looking for a SE with the towing package as it looks like dealers only have them on the upper level SEL's. Weight should be just under 3k with all the gear and full tank of gas (40 gallons) on the boat.

The only thing I notice when I am towing is that the transmission will not shift to 6th gear. I guess is to safe guard the trans from overheating due to excessive downshifting.

No hills just a few bridges over water.