Questions for the Audio Experts

I'm thinking of upgrading the stock audio system in my 2008 Limited Edge. It’s the NAV / premium audio system with 9 speakers.

How does the audio signal get from the NAV head unit to the factory amp in the rear? Is it RCA, speaker level, or fiber? (My other car has a fiber bus to a tricked out amp /eq that's given me fits trying to tune... that' why I ask)

I want to replace the 4 (8 if you’re really counting) component door speakers (Yet to be determined) and drive them using an Alpine PDX-5. Can I eliminate the stock amp / crossover all together? Would this affect door chimes or other non-stereo sounds that the car pushes through the stock audio system? (After upgrading my other car, the door chimes / NAV voice / rear parking sensor all became controlled through the JL Cleansweep’s volume. In order to overcome this, I had to leave the Cleansweep volume fixed and use the factory volume… which degrades the overall sound quality. I’m still waiting for JBL’s MS-8 to come out to fix these issues… sorry I’m getting off topic!)

After reading the post about the new JL Stealthbox... I think I may abandon my idea to simply swap the stock sub for a replacement. The Stealthbox looks like it would be much more effective than just using a better sub in the stock enclosure. However, I read that the trim will be permanently modified. Do you have to cut any of the plastic rear wall or does the stealth box fit behind the current wall. I don’t mind modifying what’s behind the wall, I’m just not crazy about modifying the visible areas.

Will the sub channel of the PDX-5 be sufficient to drive the 10W3? I don’t want overwhelming bass, just tight, clean sound.

Those who have upgraded - is the source audio from the Nav / premium audio package good enough to allow upgraded amps and speakers to make a significant difference? I'm not as worried about volume as clarity. (My other car is using a JL Cleansweep & JL summing module to process the sound out of the stock amp and clean it up and break it down in order to pass it along to the aftermarket amps and crossovers.) I'm hopeful that Ford makes this process much simpler by allowing for an amp swap.

Thanks for any advice you may be able to provide. I look forward to your input!

I'm thinking of upgrading the stock audio system in my 2008 Limited Edge. It’s the NAV / premium audio system with 9 speakers.

How does the audio signal get from the NAV head unit to the factory amp in the rear? Is it RCA, speaker level, or fiber? (My other car has a fiber bus to a tricked out amp /eq that's given me fits trying to tune... that' why I ask)

I want to replace the 4 (8 if you’re really counting) component door speakers (Yet to be determined) and drive them using an Alpine PDX-5. Can I eliminate the stock amp / crossover all together? Would this affect door chimes or other non-stereo sounds that the car pushes through the stock audio system? (After upgrading my other car, the door chimes / NAV voice / rear parking sensor all became controlled through the JL Cleansweep’s volume. In order to overcome this, I had to leave the Cleansweep volume fixed and use the factory volume… which degrades the overall sound quality. I’m still waiting for JBL’s MS-8 to come out to fix these issues… sorry I’m getting off topic!)

After reading the post about the new JL Stealthbox... I think I may abandon my idea to simply swap the stock sub for a replacement. The Stealthbox looks like it would be much more effective than just using a better sub in the stock enclosure. However, I read that the trim will be permanently modified. Do you have to cut any of the plastic rear wall or does the stealth box fit behind the current wall. I don’t mind modifying what’s behind the wall, I’m just not crazy about modifying the visible areas.

Will the sub channel of the PDX-5 be sufficient to drive the 10W3? I don’t want overwhelming bass, just tight, clean sound.

Those who have upgraded - is the source audio from the Nav / premium audio package good enough to allow upgraded amps and speakers to make a significant difference? I'm not as worried about volume as clarity. (My other car is using a JL Cleansweep & JL summing module to process the sound out of the stock amp and clean it up and break it down in order to pass it along to the aftermarket amps and crossovers.) I'm hopeful that Ford makes this process much simpler by allowing for an amp swap.

Thanks for any advice you may be able to provide. I look forward to your input!

Since my sub wasn't working when I bought my SEL+, an aftermarket 120W JBL amp was installed (at no cost) to drive the stock sub. I must say that it pushes the stock sub nicely (as long as the gain is down and the frequency is right.) The smaller of the 3 harnesses on the back of your head unit goes to the stock amp. The audio shop tapped into those wires, converting them to RCA. Both channels of the amp went to the stock sub.

Acc'd to the JL site, you're correct, you'll have to cut your existing panel in the back. I'm not too thrilled about that either. If you don't cut it out, I'm sure that the plastic cargo wall with rattle like hell. :wacko:

I'm no "expert", but I hope that answers some of your questions.