What would you do?

1LivingontheEdge

Hey guys! Fairly new to the forum. I bought my 2008 Edge Limited used about 3 years ago. It currently has 214k miles in it. A couple months ago, it started acting up with hubby with lights coming on in the dash, not wanting to go uphill, among other things. On the advice of a friend, we took it to a local transmission shop that we have dealt with for years and let him scan it and look at it. He said it's the sensors that are the problem. He can replace them, but cannot guarantee how long they will last. Apparently, the fluid wasn't maintained either (keep in mind, bought the car used so not sure what has or hasn't been done and yes we did check it). Now I'm stuck making a hard decision. 

My options are to spend $600 to change sensors and fluid, spend $4300 for a new transmission or get rid of this car and buy another. Other than the above, there is nothing else wrong with the car. A brand new vehicle is out of the question, just can't do a big car payment. So I ask...what would you do in this situation? I've considered doing the sensors and getting rid of it, but with things the way they are and prices sky high, I'm reluctant.

Sensor failure is somewhat common, so I'd recommend changing the sensors.

But while he's got it apart, I think there are others more knowledgeable than me who would also recommend changing an additional part. (Let them chime in).

I think your mechanic is being honest, but conservative. 

As the tranny wasn't maintained, other maintenance may have been neglected. 

To be safe, I'd recommend to  change the coolant. (Very important). There's a new coolant being used by Ford and you'll need to do a flush as the 2008 used gold. I'd recommend switching to the new light green coolant.  Note that not changing coolant on the 2008 has been linked to water pump failure. If you notice coolant low in the overflow reservoir, or the oil looking "milkly" on the dipstick, you may have a failed water pump. This would need immediate attention to prevent engine damage. Repair runs under couple grand.

And spark plugs if you can't verify when they were changed last. (Old plugs have wider gaps, which draw more current to spark across, which create more heat. The additional heat will cause coil(s) failure and (possibly) ignition computer failure (if a coil shorts when it fails). (Very important). Dealer cost around $300.

If yours is an All Wheel Drive, change the fluid. Your transmission mechanic can do this by pumping out the old and pumping in new. (Very important). Dealer cost around $90.

All used cars require certain upkeep, and the Edge is a great car. Given care, there's no reason it couldn't see 300k.

• Like 1