Moving gear shifter to low at 60 mph - it's not as bad as you think

IZZYAZ

I haven't ready any where on here what happens if you are driving down the road at 60 mph and drop the tranny in to low. Well, I finally gave it a try the other day to see what would happen. I was in my wifes 07 SEL+ FWD Edge last week, by myself of course, and was coming up to a stop sign in the middle of no where. Since I am use to driving my F150 and down shifting to a stop sign I shifted the Edge into low at 60 mph with out thinking what vehicle I was in. Well, the engine and tranny are still there and working fine. I figured out that it will only rev to about 4k or so rpm and when you let the engine brake you and the rpms drop it will continue to down shift thru the gears. Kind of a nice set up and will have to do this the next time I pull my boat.

So it's not the best set up for engine braking, in my opinion, but it is better then just turning off the OD. So all you people that live in the mountains, give it a try and report back on how it works for you.

Edited by IZZYAZ

So it's not the best set up for engine braking, in my opinion, but it is better then just turning off the OD. So all you people that live in the mountains, give it a try and report back on how it works for you.

Hi IZZYAZ. :D Just as an FYI (for others, you already know), the "L" setting specifically there for use in mountainous driving. It's purpose is to provide more engine braking on long downhills, to help avoid brake overheating and fade. That is specifically why it's there.

Or as our Owners Manuals explain (page 245 in the 2008 Edge manual, others may be different). I copied and pasted and underlined below:

L (Low)

• Provides maximum engine braking.

• Will downshift to the lowest available gear for the current vehicle

speed; allows for first gear when vehicle reaches slower speeds.

For the sake of those wondering, since it has been asked in the past: "L" does not provide any added acceleration or power. It is not a "Sport" mode, etc.

It simply does what the Owners Manual states.

It should only be used in cases where you really need the added engine braking to avoid brake failure. As ISSYAZ stated: Mountainous driving, stopping during towing etc. It should not be used all the time, as it will put added wear on your transmission. And transmissions are more expensive to replace than brakes. Additionally, it will lead to lower fuel mileage, due to the transmission being held in a lower gear whenever your foot is off the accelerator.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530