Why the Cargo Light is Mounted on PCB??

On my 2016 Titanium I wanted to put an ON/OFF switch on the single side mounted cargo light and today I removed the side panel and discovered that the light is mounted on a PCB and the power to it consist of at least 6 wires which means I wouldn’t know on which to install my ON/OFF switch.

However it raises the question why a simple cargo light is mounted on a PCB? Perhaps it serves some other functions? I will not do any further work until I find out what this light does.

Any ideas why this light it’s not like any other simple LED??

Cargo Light Panel Removal7.jpg

Cargo Light Panel Removal8.jpg

Cargo Light Panel Removal9.jpg

Cargo Light Panel Removal11.jpg

Yes the cargo light comes ON when I open any passenger door and now that I have the ambient lights switched OFF from the console above the drivers seat the cargo light still comes ON. In addition, the cargo light comes ON alone when I open the cargo door.

I also noticed only 3 wires going into the PCB board but the cable feeding the light is much bigger and I assume the other wires in the feed cable are going to the cargo door latch.

To access the cargo light you don’t have to remove the side panel, removing the bucket shown in the 1st picture above provides sufficient space to work on the light. I did try to remove the bucket before I removed the side panel but it was impossible so after I removed the side panel I noticed how that bucket is secured in place. It has 2 clips at the top side and 2 more at the bottom but all 4 clips are thin like a thread and I broke the 2 top clips. In any case you don’t need them clips, pushing the bucket down into the opening it’s a snug fit and holds the bucket tight without the clips.