2019 Ford Edge SEL 2.0 Ecoboost Fuel Injector Replacement Help

Hello, 

I have a 2019 Ford Edge SEL 2.0 Ecoboost. It has 71,410 miles. Awhile ago the CEL came on and we got a code of P0300. It went off and I stupidly thought all was fine. Well, in early March it started acting up. So, we decided to change the spark plugs because they’d never been changed. So, we changed them and then the car stopped running. The mechanic that came out said to try changing the ignition coils. So, we did and all seemed great again until in early April the CEL came on again and this time we got a P2196 code. The CEL went off the next day, however, the car feels like it could stall out every time I get fuel, it smells strong of gasoline near the tailpipe, and it is very jerky sometimes when pushing the gas pedal. We’ve decided to try changing the fuel injectors. I tried hiring a mechanic, but he said that the fuel injectors on this car can only be changed by the dealership. Is this true? At this point we are considering doing it ourselves. The only issue is that we can’t find any pictures, videos, or diagrams about how to get to the injectors. I have purchased 4 new motorcraft injectors, a fuel filter, intake manifold gaskets, and a seal/o-ring kit for 4 injectors already because the mechanic we tried to hire was going to do the labor with our provided parts. Can anyone give advice and/or info on how to get to them to change them, if it’s true only a dealership can do it, and if we are on the right track with changing those. Should we replace or change anything else? We are driving from Florida to Illinois and then Illinois back to Florida in late May and I am trying to make sure the vehicle is in tip top shape prior to the trip. I also work with my car every day driving lots so trying to prevent another case of it not starting. 

Pop off the air duct and see if the mass air flow is dirty. 

Q. Rather than fire off the parts cannon why not run it through the local dealership and get it diagnosed properly? (As you said, you need to depend on getting the car fixed so that it's reliable).

On 4/29/2022 at 3:55 PM, 2019FordEdge2.0EcoBoost said:

Hello, 

I have a 2019 Ford Edge SEL 2.0 Ecoboost. It has 71,410 miles. Awhile ago the CEL came on and we got a code of P0300. It went off and I stupidly thought all was fine. Well, in early March it started acting up. So, we decided to change the spark plugs because they’d never been changed. So, we changed them and then the car stopped running. The mechanic that came out said to try changing the ignition coils. So, we did and all seemed great again until in early April the CEL came on again and this time we got a P2196 code. The CEL went off the next day, however, the car feels like it could stall out every time I get fuel, it smells strong of gasoline near the tailpipe, and it is very jerky sometimes when pushing the gas pedal. We’ve decided to try changing the fuel injectors. I tried hiring a mechanic, but he said that the fuel injectors on this car can only be changed by the dealership. Is this true? At this point we are considering doing it ourselves. The only issue is that we can’t find any pictures, videos, or diagrams about how to get to the injectors. I have purchased 4 new motorcraft injectors, a fuel filter, intake manifold gaskets, and a seal/o-ring kit for 4 injectors already because the mechanic we tried to hire was going to do the labor with our provided parts. Can anyone give advice and/or info on how to get to them to change them, if it’s true only a dealership can do it, and if we are on the right track with changing those. Should we replace or change anything else? We are driving from Florida to Illinois and then Illinois back to Florida in late May and I am trying to make sure the vehicle is in tip top shape prior to the trip. I also work with my car every day driving lots so trying to prevent another case of it not starting. 

It sounds like the evap valve has failed open and allowing raw gas to to be drawn into the engine, and its poisoning the CAT, and the code is a result.

That is a whole lot cheaper fix than injectors.

Until you get it fixed, don't fill up above 3/4.

It appears that you've been using unqualified mechanics who've cost you more than needed - if you can't DIY, you will be better off searching for a reputable independent shop or go to the dealership.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1