Parking brake adjustment

2010 3.5L AWD

The parking brake needs adjustment. Crawled under and found an adjustable link that connects 3 brake cables, 2 from the front (one from the parking brake and the other from the passenger side) and 1 to the rear. What is the brake cable to the front passenger side for? Thank you. 

Edited by paker

Thank you for the info. I am too inexperienced with the setup to understand all the procedures. Would you explain in basic terms what needs to be done? 

In the past with other vehicles I used to shorten the stretched cable by turning a nut. I see the same setup in the equalizer. What puzzles me is why I just cannot turn the nut in the equalizer and call it done. 

Edited by paker

Sorry for inducing information overload with the full set of documents, which hopefully may be helpful to a future reader.

You will find In the previously posted Parking Brake Adjustment Workshop Manual PDF document, that Ford immediately specifies that adjustment should be applied equally at both cable-end locations -- at the interior parking brake pedal and at the under-body equalizer.

I can only speculate that splitting the total adjustment across both ends of the forward cable may increase its usable life.

This illustration shows the location of the interior adjustment nut (2)...

Parking Brake Control - Interior Pedal Assembly Illustration - 2010 Edge Workshop Manual.jpg

Parking Brake Control - Interior Pedal Assembly Component Listing - 2010 Edge Workshop Manual.jpg

Equal turns to the interior pedal adjustment nut and to the under-body equalizer adjustments nut, until you verify a properly holding (and releasing) parking brake by applying the parking brake three times.

Good luck!

Edited by Haz

After reading your post, I went out and crawled under the car again. In many cars the pedal cable sits on one side of the adjustment nut and the wheel cable sits on the other. By turning the nut, you pull the cables together. But in Ford Edge, the pedal cable and RR wheel cable are on the same side. This threw me off completely. It took a while to notice the pivoting movement of the equalizer bracket. When the pedal cable pulls, the LR cable gets pulled, which in turn pivots the bracket and pulls the RR cable. In the end, (pedal cable pull force) = (LR cable pull force) + (RR cable pull force).

The numbers, 8 mm and 22 mm, seem to be the initial setting when a new cable is installed. I would say it has nothing to do with adjusting a stretched cable like my case. To take care of the slack, the nuts can be turned as much as needed. 

Adjusting both nuts makes sense because of the pivoting movement of the bracket. If wheel cable is stretched, the pedal cable should also  be stretched. But I would say adjusting just one nut doesn't damage anything. 

Now I have a related question. I would like to turn rear wheels while adjusting the nuts to check brake drag. But the rear wheels don't turn freely. They seem to be engaged in a gear. Is AWD supposed to be so? I tried N, but no difference. Thank you.

brake cable equalizer.jpg

Edited by paker
  • Like 1

I appreciate your photo of the parking brake equalizer arrangement, which the 2010 Edge Workshop Manual describes as...

The front parking brake cable is coupled to the LH rear parking brake cable and conduit which is coupled to the RH rear parking brake cable. The parking brake cable and conduits actuate the parking brake levers, engaging the parking brake shoes with the parking brake drum-in-hat assembly.

To address your additional question, I lifted the rear end of our 2015 AWD MKX, which is a GEN 1 vehicle like yours, 

With both rear tires off the floor, and regardless of the transmission being in either Park or Neutral, each wheel rotates freely while the other-side.wheel rotates in the opposite direction, without any noticeable brake pad drag.

Good luck!