Front End Groan During a Drive - CV Shaft Bearing?

Dmtaurus

Have a 2015 Edge SEL, 2.0 Ecoboost, FWD, 86K miles, with what sounds like a bearing groan.  I replaced both front wheel bearings with SKF units 1500 miles ago, so I don't think the groan is from them, and I don't detect any noise from the rear bearings.  I have BF Goodrich tires on it and they are like new even though they are 2 years old.  It drives straight as an arrow and tire wear is excellent.  I was thinking bad front CV joints on the axles but they don't click or skip at all.  Turning left or right makes no difference in the sound, like when the wheel bearings get loaded in a turn.  Driving on asphalt or concrete doesn't change the tone or loudness.  Then this thought occurred; the support bearing on the front passenger axle that is saddled to the engine block. 

1, Do these go bad and groan when the miles accumulate?  The groan seems to be coming from all directions, so it is hard to pinpoint the direction. 

2. I see on RockAuto that the listings for this model make a point to say that the front axles are an updated design.  What does that mean?