radiator swap on a 2013 3.5l SE

varmint

My 2013 Edge does not have the tow package. I bought the car new and have pulled a 16' Scamp some 40,000 miles through the rockies and 2/3 of the USA. The scamp weighed 2500 lbs loaded. I have recently changed trailers and now own a 20' rpod that weighs 3,000 lbs on the yard scales and has a tongue wt of 350 lbs. I've pulled the rpod 200 miles on the freeway at 60mph on a 75 degree day with the trans temp at 202 to 205 and engine temp at 195-200. I now have 95,000 miles on the edge and will soon change the spark plugs and clean the K&N air filter. I would like to swap the radiator at the same time to move up to the larger 1" core of the towing radiator. The standard radiator is a 5/8" core which is 60% more material to exchange heat. I would like to stay with the same fans. Will the standard fans mount up ok with the tow radiator? Externally the radiators appear to be the same in the pictures with both cores being 28.75" x 17.57". Has anyone done this swap?

Edited by 1004ron

• 1 month later...

This is an update as I have now swapped the standard radiator for the larger 1" core radiator. It bolted right in and the standard fans installed with no problems.  I now have the improved cooling by going from the standard 5/8" core to the 1". The stronger fans would have been nice but would probably only have come into play if I was towing steep grades at very slow speeds. The fans kick in at about 210 degrees. I'll be leaving for a 5,000 mile trip in about 3 weeks which will include some mountain driving. I expect to maintain 50 mph or more in the mountains excluding switchbacks. Come spring I'll post the results as relates to cooling.

• Like 2