A/C issue

We bought back our middle daughters car...long story...which is a 2008 Ford Edge Limited and have had it up and running since the middle of the summer. The a/c has been cooling fine at 45*-48* vent temperature depending on outside air temperatures...it's been really hot. Sunday we drove the car and everything seemed okay on the short trip to and from church. So a couple hours later we get in the car to go get our youngest daughter and immediately notice the a/c blowing warm air. I cycle the a/c system on/off and my wife noticed in the beginning there was a short burst of cold air before going warm.  When we got back home I noticed the compressor clutch was engaged when the a/c was on but the refrigerant line coming off the compressor was not cold. I also checked it the next morning after sitting all night and that's when the compressor clutch would not engage when turned on. I hook up Forscan to check DTC codes and there's nothing related to the a/c system. I also did the KOEO self test and the fans powered up, then the compressor clutch engaged. I hook up a set of gauges and the high and low side were just above 0 with engine off. So I jump the compressor clutch relay while the engine is running and get a reading of -20 on the low side and +20 on the high side, but I did not let it run long given the compressor could be damaged due to lack of lubrication.  The difference in pressures when running is telling me the system is still somewhat closed, but maybe it's just showing the compressor is still doing it's job and able to pump.  Either way I need to look for a leak. 

I looked at another thread with a similar issue where a blow off valve was mentioned...assuming that would happen if there was a blockage...but I didn't hear the hissing and/or pop if that valve would of let refrigerant out.  The fact the compressor clutch was still engaging when we returned home the second time, I'm thinking a slower leak.  The op found a bad discharge line down by the compressor and I did notice some residue down there when looking to see if the clutch was engaging, so I'll start there when this rain lets up.  Given I will more than likely have to suck the system back down and recharge it, I may as well take a look at the orifice tube for debris, but not sure where it's located in the system...

Edited by bwguardian

1 hour ago, bwguardian said:

Either way I need to look for a leak.

From the 2008 Edge Workshop Manual...

Fluorescent Dye Detection

NOTE: Ford Motor Company vehicles are produced with R-134a fluorescent dye installed in the refrigerant system from the factory. The location of leaks can be pinpointed by the bright yellow-green glow of the fluorescent dye under a UV lamp. Since more than one leak can exist, make sure to inspect each component, line and fitting in the refrigerant system for a leak.

Good luck!