Wipers stop operating occasionally

I'll be driving along and it's raining...BARELY. I use the single wipe feature here and there. All of a sudden, the single wipe doesn't work. I then try to tun on the wipers...they don't work. Single wipe, intermittant, slow, or fast...no action out of the wipers. I've found that if I squirt the washers, then they fire back to life. It's happened a few times. The switch seems fine, the motor seems fine when they work, so? I don't hear the motor attempt to operate, the wipers just don't move. I THINK they start working on their own, but if you're stuck in big time rain and need to see, there's no time to wait and I luckily found that initiating the washers makes them spring back to life.

Also on wipers (related?), if I use the rain-sensing function then the wipers will occasionally fly into hyperspeed mode when it's barely raining. I have set the controls to be manual intermittent control instead of the rain sensing function. Never had this with my '15 Edge, but it seems to be happening with my newer '18.

Maybe I need a new rain sensor in the overhead pod? Any way to diagnose that?