Hello All, I've replaced my headlamps with new LED ones and am totally unsure as to how to align the light with the reflectors.  My lamps are the 'single' LED type as the Hi/Lo switching is done by a shutter up/down system. It seems that most of what I've read say that the alignment should be 3 O Clock and 9 O Clock but which side is 3 O Clock and which Side is 9 O Clock ? In other words, do the LEDs point towards the inside or outsde of the vehicle?  so if anyone can helps I'd be very grateful. Thanks. Mike ( A Complete amatuer)

What year and model and options is the vehicle? What bulbs do you have (H11, 9005, 9007, H7, H9)? If it is bi-xenon then you are replacing HID bulbs with LED (I am not familiar with all the Lincoln offerings, and not all Edge either for that matter).

If the bulbs have LEDs on each side, then it should be straight up and down with one side at 3 o'clock and the other at 9 o'clock. If the LEDs have a "low" side and a "high" side (which they shouldn't since I doubt this is a dual filament setup) then there should be instructions but these are for reflector headlights and are shielded.

Hi, Thanks for the response --- The lamps are H9 and my model  is a 2011 Edge LTD. It has the 'Projector' type headlight so my LED's have only one side.... The latest I have is that  as this model has 'projector' headlights the LED should point downwards as when switching to HI beam, the internal shutter goes up and therefore exposes the whole projector reflective surfaces. So pointing the single LED downwards seem to be logical?

That doesn't seem right. The LED bulb should have chips on 2 sides, and should be oriented with the LED chips to the sides at the 3 and 9 positions. I have never seen a single sided LED (some 360 degree, and some front facing) headlight replacements.

I think you have the mechanism wrong. In low beam mode it actually rises and blocks the lower part of the reflector, blocking the light that would be coming out of the top of the projector lens. In high beam it is just not blocking any light.

• 2 weeks later...

When I did this sort of swap on my wife's escape - which has the projector style hallogens OE - I just used trial and error to adjust the clocking of the bulb.  I only had to readjust the drivers side as I got lucky the first time on the passenger side.  That would be my recommendation is to give it a whirl and change it if need be - though I would advise doing so when time allows you to get it adjusted properly.  Oncoming drivers will appreciate the consideration.

I found that with the projectors - it is possible to get the desired result.