2008 Edge Limited seat memory question

I have a new 2008 Edge Limited. After 650-700 miles I really like it so far. One thing I was wonderring about was the seat memory settings. I followed the manual to program it based on the remote. What does seem to happen however is if my wife drives it and parks it in the garage, then I get in it to go somewhere I don't use my remote to unlock it. There is no need since it is not locked while in the locked garage. When this happens it goes to her seat settings. Naturally, if I drove it last and she gets in it then the problem is reversed.

This would be no big deal if I could just mash the setting number on the door and have it go to my setting, but that seems to only be for programming it. Is there a way once you get in and put the key in to get the seat memory to switch driver settings? I suspect it's something obvious that I am missing.

Thanks for any insight.

I have a new 2008 Edge Limited. After 650-700 miles I really like it so far. One thing I was wonderring about was the seat memory settings. I followed the manual to program it based on the remote. What does seem to happen however is if my wife drives it and parks it in the garage, then I get in it to go somewhere I don't use my remote to unlock it. There is no need since it is not locked while in the locked garage. When this happens it goes to her seat settings. Naturally, if I drove it last and she gets in it then the problem is reversed.

This would be no big deal if I could just mash the setting number on the door and have it go to my setting, but that seems to only be for programming it. Is there a way once you get in and put the key in to get the seat memory to switch driver settings? I suspect it's something obvious that I am missing.

Thanks for any insight.

Hi ncwhiteedge. :D The door mounted buttons are not just for programming. They "should" also control the seats. I have not set my keyfob remotes to recognize the driver, I only have my door buttons ("1" and "2") set to remember the "Memory Seat" positions for my wife and I and they work fine. So I am not sure if setting the keyfob remotes deactivates the door buttons. I guess it is a possibility (although unlikely I would think). You can follow the Owners Manual directions to deactivate the keyfob remotes and see if that returns function to the door buttons. If it does, you will need to choose one or the other (keyfob or door buttons). If it does not, read on to the next part of my reply.

The "1" and "2" buttons on the door should work if they are programmed properly and are not suffering some sort of malfunction.

In other words, if you have the "1" button set for your seat settings, you should be able to open the door and hit the "1" button and have the seat move to your position (once the key is inserted into the ignition). The same goes for the "2" button and your wife's seat settings.

If they are not working properly, then there is either a problem with the memory seat function that needs Dealer attention or you have not programmed the door buttons correctly.

I would therefore recommend that you follow the Owners manual instructions to for reprogramming the door buttons to see if they will work properly. If you can get them to work properly, then reprogram the keyfob remotes and see if you can also get them working properly.

Until you discover which option is causing the problem (my guess is the settings on the door buttons were accidentally wiped out), you can simply hit the unlock button on the remote as you approach the vehicle. Yes, I know it is in your garage and already unlocked, but it is the simplest solution until the buttons on the door are programmed correctly.

If none of this works, schedule a service visit to have them check the "Memory Seat" function.

Hope this is not too confusing.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi ncwhiteedge. :D The door mounted buttons are not just for programming. They "should" also control the seats. I have not set my keyfob remotes to recognize the driver, I only have my door buttons ("1" and "2") set to remember the "Memory Seat" positions for my wife and I and they work fine. So I am not sure if setting the keyfob remotes deactivates the door buttons. I guess it is a possibility (although unlikely I would think). You can follow the Owners Manual directions to deactivate the keyfob remotes and see if that returns function to the door buttons. If it does, you will need to choose one or the other (keyfob or door buttons). If it does not, read on to the next part of my reply.

The "1" and "2" buttons on the door should work if they are programmed properly and are not suffering some sort of malfunction.

In other words, if you have the "1" button set for your seat settings, you should be able to open the door and hit the "1" button and have the seat move to your position (once the key is inserted into the ignition). The same goes for the "2" button and your wife's seat settings.

If they are not working properly, then there is either a problem with the memory seat function that needs Dealer attention or you have not programmed the door buttons correctly.

I would therefore recommend that you follow the Owners manual instructions to for reprogramming the door buttons to see if they will work properly. If you can get them to work properly, then reprogram the keyfob remotes and see if you can also get them working properly.

Until you discover which option is causing the problem (my guess is the settings on the door buttons were accidentally wiped out), you can simply hit the unlock button on the remote as you approach the vehicle. Yes, I know it is in your garage and already unlocked, but it is the simplest solution until the buttons on the door are programmed correctly.

If none of this works, schedule a service visit to have them check the "Memory Seat" function.

Hope this is not too confusing.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Hi bbf2530,

No, not too confusing at all.

When I got home today I dis-associated the remotes from the seat memory. Once I did that I could mash the 1 and 2 buttons on the door and the seat/mirrors responded. Then, just to see, I re-associated the remotes with the seat memory. Now it works both ways. It will move to the memory position of the last user. This can now be overridden with a remote click **or** mashing the # button on the door.

I must have fouled up the programming of it initially. That is the most likely explanation.

Thanks very much for your help.