tires, wheels, springs

I plan to buy 22x9.5in. wheels, 35mm offset, along with 285/35/22 tires. Also will be adding H&R lowering springs. Does anyone run a set up like this? Will it fit without rubbing? Or would it be better to run 265/35/22's?

Well I think that depends on one major component. How much are you going to lower? H&R makes several springs with different levels of drop. If you go with the standard 1.7 front and 1.3 rear, which tends to be the norm for our cars you should be fine with 35's.

I will say that with the lesser amount of offset with the wheels and width of tire (285) they may patrude further out then you may like. Just my 0 cents!

Has anybody gotten word from Ford on how they veiw lowering springs in relation to the drivetrain warrenty?

Hi milkman. :D This following letter is a prime example of Ford's policy concerning modifications such as lowering springs, aftermarket tuners, etc. Keep in mind that it does not mean that Ford will always deny a Warranty claim on a modified vehicle, but they can. So going in, you have to assume that any Warranty claim related to the modification can be denied. If they cover it, consider yourself lucky.

The letter is underlined below. Pay special attention to the bold sections (which is most of it :hysterical: ):

To: All Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealer Principals and Service Managers

Subject: Ford Motor Company Warranty Coverage Clarification

THE FORD MOTOR COMPANY POSITION ON VEHICLE MODIFICATIONS

We all want to do the right thing for our customers, and for the Ford Motor Company - that is why it is important to have a clear policy with regard to warranty administration. For vehicles that are not modified, the warranty policy is clear--we back our products within the guidelines of the new vehicle limited warranty, which is designed to protect the customer from defects in workmanship and/or material. However, in the case of vehicles that have been modified, the modifications may affect warranty coverage. This is because damage or failures of the new vehicle components CAUSED by modifications to the vehicle are not defects in "factory supplied" workmanship or material.

STATEMENTS OF COVERAGE

Ford states clearly in the Warranty Information Booklet provided with every new vehicle in the chapter "WHAT IS NOT COVERED?"

"Damage Caused By:

Non-Ford parts installed after the vehicle leaves Ford's control. For example, but not limited to, cellular phones, alarm systems, and automatic starting systems, and performance-enhancing powertrain chips"

And also in the chapter "OTHER ITEMS AND CONDITIONS NOT COVERED"

“Your New Vehicle Limited Warranty” also does not cover:

Non-Ford parts of your vehicle, for example, parts (including glass) installed by body builders or manufacturers other than Ford, or damage to Ford components caused by the installation of non-Ford parts other than "certified" emission parts.

TYPICAL MODIFICATIONS THAT MAY CAUSE WARRANTY DENIAL

Some non-Ford modifications that may cause damage to the vehicle for which warranty protection might be denied include:

Power chips or unauthorized re-programming of the module that modify the original powertrain calibrations, supercharger or turbo-charger installations, under drive pulleys to engine front accessory drives, transmission "shift kits," low restriction air intake and filter systems, low restriction exhaust systems, Nitrous Oxide systems (gas engines) and Propane systems (diesel engines), final drive axle ratio changes, alterations to fuel systems and wiring harnesses.

WARRANTY DENIAL

Although the installation of these non-Ford parts and after-market modifications, by themselves, will not void the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, failures of the vehicle's engine or transmission or other components that are the result of these parts and/or modifications may result in a denial of warranty for the Ford component that failed or damage that results.

DEALER INSTALLATION AND MARKETING OF THESE COMPONENTS, CLEAN AIR ACT

Dealers who are installing these power enhancement and unknown performance enhancing devices may incur the liability for the effect on federal and state emission compliance and should make customers aware that the addition of these devices may cause failures of drivetrain components that may not be covered under the Ford New Vehicle Warranty. Section 203(a) of the Clean Air Act defines the prohibition against tampering with vehicle components that may effect emissions. Section 205 of the Clean Air Act defines dealer tampering as subject to civil penalty of up to $31,500 per violation.

Ford Motor Company strongly suggests that dealers do not install or market components that may cause damage to the vehicles components.

EFFECTS OF MODIFICATIONS ON PRIOR APPROVAL

Engine and Automatic transmission assembly replacements for which Ford Motor Company is participating in the repair (Bumper to Bumper, Service Part Warranty, and After Warranty Adjustments) require prior approval by the Ford Technical Service Hotline, with the exception of ESP and FSAs which may require separate approval. The Hotline Service Engineers are skilled and knowledgeable about the various kinds of non-Ford parts (and any parts - Ford or aftermarket - designated for "off road use only") and modifications that can potentially affect engine, transmission and other vehicle systems. Where evidence of such part or modifications exists and the failure or damage is the result of such part or modification - Warranty coverage will likely be denied for the repair.

While lowering a vehicle or modifying the suspension is not specifically mentioned, the list is not exclusive (or all inclusive), and the examples given are simply that, examples. Since lowering a vehicle can change the angle of the halfshafts/driveshafts, it can alter the drivetrain geometry. This can lead to added stress on those drivetrain components. This fact can lead to denial of certain engine related Warranty claims. Again, this does not guarantee that your claim will be denied. But it is a distinct possibility.

Also, you asked about and I answered concerning the drivetrain (engine, transmission etc). I assume you already realize that lowering a vehicle will almost certainly result in any suspension related Warranty claims being denied?

In addition, keep the following facts in mind: Final approval for Warranty repairs are not up to individual Dealerships or Dealership employees. Ford Motor Company is footing the bill, and Ford Motor Company makes the final decision on all Warranty related matters.

Bottom line: I am not telling anyone not to modify their vehicles. I am simply supplying the correct information so they can make an informed decision, and therefore they do not get any nasty Warranty surprises later.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

I' m going to use the standard spring set, and i don't want the tires to protrude. Anyone know the proper offset for 22x9.5 wheels and 285 tires? Or maybe I'll just use the 265s and stick with the 35mm offset.

ford, or no other company for that matter can deny a warranty claim because the car has aftermarket parts, unless the part ACTUALLY caused the problem to start with. that is law, trust me, had this go around with several manufacturers...

ford, or no other company for that matter can deny a warranty claim because the car has aftermarket parts, unless the part ACTUALLY caused the problem to start with. that is law, trust me, had this go around with several manufacturers...

Hi Purple. :D There is some confusion here, due to two people ("blaze u" and "milkman1951") asking different questions (post hijack :hysterical: ).

You and I were answering two different questions.

I was answering milkman1951's question concerning lowering springs and Warranty coverage. My reply contains the copied and pasted text of Fords official stance on modifications. If one takes the time to carefully read the letter, Fords policy stance is made quite clear in the message. Also, neither my reply or Fords letter state that Ford will automatically reject a Warranty claim, simply because a vehicle was modified. They both simply state that any individual who modifies their vehicle must also be ready to understand the consequences if they should have a modification related failure. Perhaps that wasn't completely clear.

You were answering the OP's (blaze u) question concerning wheels only. He was not asking about lowering springs or Warranty coverage. He is only asking about the proper offset so that his new wheels and tires fit correctly (without rubbing).

I just wanted to point this out, so there is no more confusion.

Hope this clears things up.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530