2011 3.5 surging at idle - Evap Valve

fishx65

I've had this 2011 3.5 since new and it's been maintained extremely well. She just hit 146,000.  Was stopped at a light this morning and it started lightly surging forward and backward. RPM gauge was also jumping a little. It didn't throw any codes and seemed to be a little sluggish until I got it home. Anyone ever experience something like this? Any ideas?   

1 hour ago, 1004ron said:

Mine has done something similar which was caused by the evap valve.

What are you using to scan for stored error codes? - I ask because I've found most readers unreliable with my Ford, and now rely on Forscan for that.

I'm just using a cheap reader I purchased from Amazon.  I have noticed that my purge valve is getting pretty noisy so I'm gonna head up to the Zone right now and get a warranty replacement.  Thinking I should have used a Motorcraft part in the first place:(

Posted (edited)
On 4/22/2024 at 11:10 AM, 1004ron said:

Even a cheap OBDII device with Forscan would work.

Thanks 1004.  Ran codes and it didn't show any for the purge valve but I just swapped in a new one anyway. It did show pending codes for bank 1 & 2  02 sensors (P2198 and P2196).  Cleared the codes after installing the new purge valve and all seems fine now:)

Edited by fishx65

On 4/22/2024 at 11:27 AM, fishx65 said:

Thanks 1004.  Ran codes and it didn't show any for the purge valve but I just swapped in a new one anyway. It did show pending codes for bank 1 & 2  02 sensors (P2198 and P2196).  Cleared the codes after installing the new purge valve and all seems fine now:)

I replace my purge valve last summer, hard starts after refueling, now it sounds like a machine gun at random times. Is this normal?

Car has other issues as well because of the past owner neglecting oil changes. I believe the VVT solenoids are getting plugged again. This is after new plug, coils, valve covers, VVT's, and timing components. Not to mention both cats and all O2 sensors in the last month. 

Still idles rough, sounds like it wants to stall.. 

• 1004ron changed the title to 2011 3.5 surging at idle - Evap Valve
On 4/24/2024 at 2:21 PM, Ollie45 said:

I replace my purge valve last summer, hard starts after refueling, now it sounds like a machine gun at random times. Is this normal?

Car has other issues as well because of the past owner neglecting oil changes. I believe the VVT solenoids are getting plugged again. This is after new plug, coils, valve covers, VVT's, and timing components. Not to mention both cats and all O2 sensors in the last month. 

Still idles rough, sounds like it wants to stall.. 

I've tried 3 purge valves from Autozone and they all sounded like machine guns.