Aftermarket sirius options?

nisajoy

I had a Sirius in my Escape that I traded in. The dealer removed it for me but didn't remove any wiring because they said that I would probably need new harnesses etc for the Edge. So, I took it to the local stereo store to have my original Sirius mounted in the Edge. They inform me that I need the wires as they are specific to the Sirius model, not the car. The Sirius I have is actually designed for Class 8 trucks ( I work for an OEM) so it would be very difficult to find an install kit. The stereo guy suggested I buy another Sirius but they are all very small and there is no good place ( in my opinion )to mount it. I want something in the middle where the passengers ( teenage girls changing channels constantly) can control the receiver. The advantage of a truck receiver is that it is big and has a big screen etc.

So, I called the dealer about the wires. They have already wholesaled the trade and said they would call the purchaser and see if they can get the wires back. That was Tuesday am and I haven't heard back.

I asked them about getting the factory version of Sirius installed ( so that it would be integrated. If I can't have my big display then I want it integrated). They said it would be over $500 because it is hard to do aftermarket etc. I really don't want to get another aftermarket receiver that is propped up somewhere or in a vent( other than the one I have which as I said is large, easy to read and on the dash). It will cost a couple of hundred plus installation and will be small and look ( in my opinion) a little jerry rigged.

So, my questions are: If the dealer can't get the wires back should I ask them to pay for the factory Sirius version? or should I suck it up and live with an ugly alternative ( to the tune of a couple of hundred bucks)?

Also, I hate the MP3 hook up- It doesn't charge the Ipod and it can't be controlled with the steering wheel controls. Is there an alternative that I can buy that will resolve both my Sirius and Ipod issues?

Lastly, what the heck does the USB connector do?

I think that I really screwed up purchasing an Edge without Sync and Sirius. The "premium"6 disc changer is useless to me as I haven't used cd's in years.

getting an aftermarket or trying to get them to put in a stock unit, well, your call. personally, I had to have mine integrated as I cannot tolerate wires, so I got the stock head unit with sirius installed. BUT, if you search here on installing the stock nav/sirius head unit, you will see its got its own issues not worth covering here as they have been covered before.

also, getting your "wires" - which is like (1) the antenna wire and (2) a power wire maybe run to the fuse box and (3) an aux in line - UNLESS you used a built in FM transmitter are all pretty easy things to acquire. there are certainly car kits you can buy to do this all and I would be shocked if you could not track them down for your old unit off places like TSS Radio, eBay, etc. So, those "wires" you speak of are generally pretty basic things on external after market kits. these radios are so cheap, if it were me, I would buy the newest smallest unit with Replay feature IF I went the route of getting after market kit and either buy the car kit (car antenna, car power cord, bracket) and install myself or pro install at a shop.

USB allows you to charge AND connect your iPod at the same time. That is how you best access your iPod! why even consider the aux line input? it wold also allow you to use a simple thumb drive full of mp3 songs if you do not have an iPod or USB type mp3 player. it also allows you to do self upgrades to the Sync unit... which you do not have to worry about.

"I think that I really screwed up purchasing an Edge without Sync and Sirius. The "premium"6 disc changer is useless to me as I haven't used cd's in years." - yes, we would agree there. all the things it sounds like you want you would have had in one nice clean unit. :(

BTW, most all of these questions are answered here already if you use search function - you will get more in depth data than I provided

Edited by Lex Talionis

When I ordered my MKX, I either forgot or my salesman didn't note Sirius on the order. By the time I realized, my car was on its way. At any rate, I had the dealer install one. It works the same as the factory one. For some reason, they mounted the antenna a little off center. The saleman said there is something under the center. This cost me $500.00 with no free service.

Thanks so much for the help. The USB information makes me particularly happy. I want my IPod to charge as I use it. I am still waiting to hear from the dealership. I think that I may be breaking down and spending the 500$ as I really want it integrated.

thanks.