TPMS and Snow Tires

ILVMYGT

I removed the snow tires on Sunday. I expected to have to reset the TMPS for the summer tires. After changing the tires I drove the car 10 miles to wake up the sensors, but the TPMS light on the dash never came on. The car has been driven more and the light still has not come on.

I removed the snow tires on Sunday. I expected to have to reset the TMPS for the summer tires. After changing the tires I drove the car 10 miles to wake up the sensors, but the TPMS light on the dash never came on. The car has been driven more and the light still has not come on.

Hi ILVMYGT. :D You don't give much information. Did you remove the winter tires from the wheels and then mount the summer tires on the same wheels or do you have separate wheel/tire combo for each season?

Whether the light came on yet or not, the safe and foolproof way to do things is simply to reset/recalibrate the sensors each time you change the tires. In this way, you also take into account any psi difference between the two sets of tires.

That is a short and quick answer, and it is a little more complicated than that, but it covers the basics. You can't go wrong if you reset with each change.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

The snow tires are mounted on different factory wheels with factor sensors. When the snow tires were installed they did require recalibration which I did to turn the light off. After changing the tire I move the snow tire to a different building to separate the snow tire sensor from the winter sensors. The pressure for summer and winter tire is the same.

The snow tires are mounted on different factory wheels with factor sensors. When the snow tires were installed they did require recalibration which I did to turn the light off. After changing the tire I move the snow tire to a different building to separate the snow tire sensor from the winter sensors. The pressure for summer and winter tire is the same.

Hi ILVMYGT. Sorry for the initial :D copy and paste here, but the advice remains the same: Whether the light came on yet or not, the safe and foolproof way to do things is simply to reset/recalibrate the sensors each time you change the tires.

That is a short and quick answer, and it is a little more complicated than that, but it covers the basics. You can't go wrong if you reset with each change.

If you do a search for this subject, you will find that the TPMS warning lights seem to illuminate at varying driving distances, but they also do eventually illuminate. From the gathered experience of forum members, ten miles is not enough driving to activate the system. since the TPMS systems are not precision devices. They are considered to be "Idiot Lights".

To me, it simply seems easier to do things the right way and reset/recalibrate the system at tire changes.

Or you can wait until it comes on then reset. Hey, it is your vehicle so you can do as you please. Just trying to help.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. :beerchug: