Windshield scratched by wiperblade

Cindy

Would appreciate anybody's help on this one. Last night I was washing my 08 Limited Edge when I noticed what I thought was just a streak on the windshield. In looking closer it appears to be a scratch but not a deep one. We looked at the wiper blade and the rubber had come out at the tip of the blade and the metal was hitting the windshield. I would like to try buffing it out myself but wasn't sure what to use. I know from looking on the internet that if it is deep enough to put your fingernail in, it's too deep to buff and would have to be replaced. I dont' think it was doing it too long, but it doesn't appear to be that deep.

This forum is so great for information that I decided to turn to all of you for help.

Thanks

No I haven't checked with anyone yet. I just noticed it last night but probably will go talk to a glass place. Just wanted to see if there was something else I could try first. Thanks

Have you checked with someone that repairs stone damage to windshields? Based on what I have heard, a replaced windshield is never as safe as the original, so fixing it would probobly be best if it can be done.

• 2 months later...
Good luck w/ "fixing" it. Deep scratches in glass are generally irreversable.

If it is very light the glas folks should be able to buff it out. I would think they would have some sort of polishing agent for that sort of thing as windshields often get pinged and nicked by small grains of sand or grit all the time.

If it is very light the glas folks should be able to buff it out. I would think they would have some sort of polishing agent for that sort of thing as windshields often get pinged and nicked by small grains of sand or grit all the time.

I think the stuff is sirium oxide or something like that. There is a company called Eastwood that sells a lot of car hobbiest/restoration items & they have a do it yourself kit. Rather then risk making a mess, I would go to a glass shop. If you can't feel the damage with your fingernail, they should be able to get at least most of it out.