USED TO TOW - FIRST TIME

Last weekend I used my 2008 Edge AWD Limited to tow my boat for the first time and was great.

We towed it for approx 225KLM and averaged about 90KLM/HR (50mph) over some hilly and winding roads. The Edge performed great and did not seem to struggle with either getting going or stopping.

Some of the specifics:

- Total weight of the boat, motor, gear, gas, trailer etc... 2600 lbs.

- Trailer not equipped with brakes

- Average fuel consumption (on board computer) 15.7 litres / 100KLM

- The overdrive was switched off for most of the distance

I'm sure the Edge could have hussled along at a better speed but the roads we travelled are 2 lane secondary paved and as it was we where over the post speed limit.

Three cheers.

post-4808-1241026965_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
Last weekend I used my 2008 Edge AWD Limited to tow my boat for the first time and was great.

We towed it for approx 225KLM and averaged about 90KLM/HR (50mph) over some hilly and winding roads. The Edge performed great and did not seem to struggle with either getting going or stopping.

Some of the specifics:

- Total weight of the boat, motor, gear, gas, trailer etc... 2600 lbs.

- Trailer not equipped with brakes

- Average fuel consumption (on board computer) 15.7 litres / 100KLM

- The overdrive was switched off for most of the distance

I'm sure the Edge could have hussled along at a better speed but the roads we travelled are 2 lane secondary paved and as it was we where over the post speed limit.

Three cheers.

Hello, Just wondering because I'm in the market for a boat. I don't have the optional oil cooler and larger radiator for towing. Do you have those options? Do you think it makes a big difference if I'm pulling a max of 2,000lb over mostly flat land?

Hello, Just wondering because I'm in the market for a boat. I don't have the optional oil cooler and larger radiator for towing. Do you have those options? Do you think it makes a big difference if I'm pulling a max of 2,000lb over mostly flat land?

Hi goingtoomaha,

My AWD Edge does have the optional factory towing package. However my last three

mini vans (non-Ford) did not have any towing package and they where ok. As matter of

fact my last one had over 190K miles on it and still towed fine.

To prevent problems with the tow vechicle I adopted a more rigerous maintance schedule.

Please uderstand this my own personnal opinion, I sure many will think it is unecessary.

But here goes:

1) During my towing season I would follow the seveer duty schedule for servicing.

2) At the end of the boating season I would have the transmission fluid changed

( In my case this worked out to be every 25,000 miles.

3) Made sure all my filters remained clean enough

4) Changed the coolant every second season

5) Changed my plugs every second season

6) Kept a very close eye on the brake wear.

But most important, I kept a close watch on the engine temperature. I tried to do most of

my towing either earlier or later in the day.

I haven't decided how or what schedule I will adopt with Edge, but I beleive prevention is less

expensive then all out repair.

Let me know how you do and most importanr what kingd of boat you purchase.

Till later.