2008 EDGE SEL AWD - Stereo Problems

tRIKster-OR

I just purchased an EDGE SEL AWD - Black on Black with Gray Metallic Wheels (19's) . . .Microsoft Synch, Vista Roof, CD/MP3 player....nice ride. . . now the bad news, the front speaker in the driver's door sounded so scratchy when I turned the stereo on that I had to play sound only to the back speakers. I went back to the dealer and they replaced the driver door speaker, I left and started playing with the stereo . . . Sirius Satellite, FM Radio, CD player, and USB synched up iPOD. . . all sounded a little better at low volume but when turned up to 35-50% it starts distorting and the bass sounds scratchy. The BASS adjustment is at 50%, I'm not a novice in the sound arena and am not overdriving the system at all. . .anybody have this experience? I'm headed back to the service department at the FORD dealer tomorrow for another crack at getting this problem resolved. . .. . . I get the feeling these systems should sound pretty good but mine is messed up, by the way thanks in advance for any feedback.

- Rik / Eugene OR

:banghead:

• 3 weeks later...
I just purchased an EDGE SEL AWD - Black on Black with Gray Metallic Wheels (19's) . . .Microsoft Synch, Vista Roof, CD/MP3 player....nice ride. . . now the bad news, the front speaker in the driver's door sounded so scratchy when I turned the stereo on that I had to play sound only to the back speakers. I went back to the dealer and they replaced the driver door speaker, I left and started playing with the stereo . . . Sirius Satellite, FM Radio, CD player, and USB synched up iPOD. . . all sounded a little better at low volume but when turned up to 35-50% it starts distorting and the bass sounds scratchy. The BASS adjustment is at 50%, I'm not a novice in the sound arena and am not overdriving the system at all. . .anybody have this experience? I'm headed back to the service department at the FORD dealer tomorrow for another crack at getting this problem resolved. . .. . . I get the feeling these systems should sound pretty good but mine is messed up, by the way thanks in advance for any feedback.

- Rik / Eugene OR

Hi you know what, i have the same problem but only when is raining outside or when the humidity is high....?

• 3 weeks later...
So you're saying some Edge's have gout? :)

Could it be a wire?

That is exactly what I'm thinking . . . tomorrow I'm taking it in to a friends 'Custom Audio' store to have some upgrades done. . . new speakers in all four doors (Orion PRO components), a Memphis Audio MC4.75 amplifier under the seat to power all the speakers, a BOSTON G2 12" SUB in the back in a custom sealed 1 cu Ft box built into the passenger side of the rear interior panel . . . all this to run off the factory deck . .. and with the MS Sync all still functional . . this thing should sound great. . . anybody done a speaker upgrade like this before? Your feedback would be good to have.

Cheers,

Rik / OREGON

• 2 years later...

So I realize that this thread is a little old. I also have a 2008 Edge SEL AWD which has been having left front speaker problems for a couple of years. It will sometimes sound crackly, other times low to no audio, other times tinny like it rattles when the Sync voice asks a question or sounds the chime. This happens on all audio sources, but the tinny/crackling is most noticeable when there is more treble than bass. It is intermittent (of course). The dealer has replaced the left speaker and once said they found some bad wiring which they repaired. Mostly it doesn't happen when the car is at the dealership so they cant pinpoint it. It is still covered by the factory 3/36 (I got it in 2009) but it's getting close to being out of warranty. Has anyone seen or heard of any other cases besides this thread?

Thanks - Vsguru

• 4 months later...

- Rik / Eugene OR

We purchased a used 2008 Ford Edge in Feb and the driver's side door speaker is the exact same thing. Sounds like crap. I think the stereo blows. It sucks too as we have a Bose system in our other vehicle (GMC Envoy)

• 1 month later...

Surprised I haven't had any speaker issues with our Edge but have had the CD changer go into ERROR mode twice . Had to get a new unit and dealer had problems getting the changer to work with the steering wheel controls . Took 4 visits to get it rectified . All this happened immediately after they did the coolant pipe recall and its a known issue that with battery disconnection and reconnecting a voltage spike can ruin the radio/cd . I figure that this is what happened . I work for a sister company of the dealership and couldn't give them a bad dealer survey or I'd catch hell at work.