Is Microsoft Sync Separate from the Head Unit?

I will be taking delivery of my 2009 Edge Limited late this week. It does not have the Nav system. I am considering replacing the Head Unit with something nicer.

Is Microsoft Sync incorporated into the factory Head Unit? Will I loose all of the Sync features if I replace the Head Unit?

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

Steve

I will be taking delivery of my 2009 Edge Limited late this week. It does not have the Nav system. I am considering replacing the Head Unit with something nicer.

Is Microsoft Sync incorporated into the factory Head Unit? Will I loose all of the Sync features if I replace the Head Unit?

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve. :D Unfortunately, you will lose SYNC.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Correction, It CAN be done. Metra make a piece that will retain it. Its not cheap, but can be done. Nice thing with this harness is, if you do a aftermarket navagation radio all the wires you will need for that radio (reverse sense, speed sense) will be incorporated in this harness.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_14328_...ss+AFSI-01.html

Hi baum. :D That may be good news. However, two things I would be sure to check before purchasing: First, has anyone actually installed that Metra piece, and can they vouch for it working with absolutely no loss of functionality? I have not yet heard of anyone using it successfully.

Second, there were changes to the Sound systems and the SYNC system on 2009 and 2010 models. If you notice, Metra states that piece is currently only valid for 2008 models, and SteveO has a 2009 model. It may not be compatible with the new system changes. Or perhaps they simply have not updated their information yet. It would be a good idea for anyone interested to find the answer before purchasing.

I am not saying it definitely doesn't work, just stating that some research should be performed by anyone interested first, to be sure it is compatible. After all, while they do allow returns for refunds, they also charge a 15% "restocking fee" on those returns. Plus the possible loss of shipping charges both ways.

If anyone has further information, please let us know.

Edited by bbf2530

• 4 months later...
Hi Steve. :D Unfortunately, you will lose SYNC.

Did you ever get this to work? I recently bought a used Ford Edge Limited 08. When I bought it they told me that the dvd in the head rest was aftermarket. I had read that this might cause some problems with the sync so I had it disabled and sync still didn't work. Come to find out after I signed all those papers the navigation in it is also aftermarket (although it is a genuine ford unit as are the dvd head units). So they told me that I can have navigation or sync but not both. This is not an option in my opinion becasue I bought a car that was avertised as having both. Although I couldn't care less about the DVD system. So has anyone figured out how to make this work. Ford is obvioulsy incompetent when it comes to this.