Black Box in my '07?

I believe all new vehicles have a data recorder on board to monitor engine performance. This is how they are able to use the diagnostic computers to try and ID problems when you bring it in for service

The big brother aspect is a simple matter of matching up the engine RPM and gear to determine the vehicle speed etc.. I have no idea how long the data is retained before it is over written by new data.

I take it you do not have the GPS option if you are concerned about big brother. How about that cell phone in your pocket ? All the neat "toys" have unintended other uses depending on how you look at it.

I believe all new vehicles have a data recorder on board to monitor engine performance. This is how they are able to use the diagnostic computers to try and ID problems when you bring it in for service

The big brother aspect is a simple matter of matching up the engine RPM and gear to determine the vehicle speed etc.. I have no idea how long the data is retained before it is over written by new data.

I take it you do not have the GPS option if you are concerned about big brother. How about that cell phone in your pocket ? All the neat "toys" have unintended other uses depending on how you look at it.

Ummm, I was referring to the 'Event Data Recorders' being used today.

Edited by Tygr1

So, it recently comes to my attention that my Edge probably has an EDR on board. Does anyone know for sure.

Be careful..."big brother" is watching us all! :angry:

Hi Tygr. :D All modern cars have "Event Data Recorders", although according to manufacturer they may go by a different name.

In general, and again according to manufacturer, they record anywhere from approximately the last 60 seconds of drive time, to approximately 30 minutes.

Before you wrap your car (or anything else) in tin foil, keep in mind that the information can only be accessed by someone who has access to the OBD port in your car. It is not as though they can be read over the open road by a cop/the FBI/the CIA/Aliens sitting on the side of the road.

In my opinion, there are much bigger things to worry about in life, so I would not let it keep you up at night.

Of course, that is simply my opinion.

Good luck. :beerchug: