Headrest DVD System

Well, after my first week with my new Edge I've been able to add some updates.

Started with tinting the front side windows with 20% to match rear windows, 5% band on front windshield.

Installed a 2-way remote start alarm system, updated the headlights and fog lights with MTEC bulbs.

I installed the same set-up that Ug.mac did on his edge, super whites for the low beams, golden yellow for the fog lights, and waiting on delivery of the super white high beam bulbs. (thanks Ug.mac for your help)

The most recent change has been the installation of DVD headrest units with wireless headphones for both units.

You have the ability watch independent movies at the same time, or both units can show the same movie at the same time.

You can also hear the movie through the cars stereo by tuning into a preset FM radio frequency.

Below is a photo of headrests (Playing Star Wars and Spiderman independently)

That looks freaking AWESOME! I do not have kids or many backseat passengers, so not very practical for me, but great job!

Now I do have a question or two about the headlights. Could you please tell me what exactly you did? I do not have any foglights right now. I hope to add them soon though. But I am always interested in getting better night time lighting. (the stock highbeams appear to work super compared to the last several cars I drove)

Thanks

That looks freaking AWESOME! I do not have kids or many backseat passengers, so not very practical for me, but great job!

Now I do have a question or two about the headlights. Could you please tell me what exactly you did? I do not have any foglights right now. I hope to add them soon though. But I am always interested in getting better night time lighting. (the stock high-beams appear to work super compared to the last several cars I drove)

Thanks

I basically did the exact light bulb change that Ug.mac except that I have the super white bulbs in the high beams and Ug.mac was planning on installing the golden yellow in the high beams. (Custom Look)

Check this link for his summary of what was done.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=262

I thinks it not only looks better, but the range at night is better with the same 55 watt consumption. ^_^

I tried uploading my headlight photos but I keep getting an error that doesn't allow me to upload.

My previous upload was 469k and now I can only upload 31k. (too small of a picture)

If anyone knows how to get around this, let me know and I'll try again. :shrug:

Well, after my first week with my new Edge I've been able to add some updates.

Started with tinting the front side windows with 20% to match rear windows, 5% band on front windshield.

Installed a 2-way remote start alarm system, updated the headlights and fog lights with MTEC bulbs.

I installed the same set-up that Ug.mac did on his edge, super whites for the low beams, golden yellow for the fog lights, and waiting on delivery of the super white high beam bulbs. (thanks Ug.mac for your help)

The most recent change has been the installation of DVD headrest units with wireless headphones for both units.

You have the ability watch independent movies at the same time, or both units can show the same movie at the same time.

You can also hear the movie through the cars stereo by tuning into a preset FM radio frequency.

Below is a photo of headrests (Playing Star Wars and Spiderman independently)

That is AWESOME!!!! That is what I want!!! I want the BAMR and the headrest dvd players...

Question if you don't mind me asking...

I always wondered about how much it cost for the 2 dvd systems int he headrests?

I am in the US, so I know I will not know for sure...but do you know what I can expect to pay, round about?

Thanks!!

Great job btw...I saw you and UGmac talking about the lights on the other thread which made me tell my hubby that I wanted those also...lol

I don't have the edge yet...we are in the process of selling our home, but when we do, that is what we are going to use to put down a pretty good down payment...

:) I want it to SELL...

Anyone want a house????

LOL

I ordered the DVD headrest units through a seller on Ebay for $329.00 + shipping.

I was looking into getting them before my edge was delivered, and I'm glad that I waited to actually see my interior color.

I have a charcoal leather interior so I thought that I was going to order a grey headrest. Thankfully I waited and I ordered black headrests which match the existing leather seats perfectly. I actually like these headrests better because the top of the stock headrest leaned forward towards my head, and I didn't find that comfortable.

Some of my friends have seen my headrests and they did not know that it was aftermarket.

They fit perfect and the color match is great.

Heres the Ebay link for the headrest. They shipped directly from Hong Kong and I got them in 3 days to NY. ^_^

http://cgi.ebay.com/7-HEADREST-PILLOW-LCD-...8QQcmdZViewItem

I ordered the DVD headrest units through a seller on Ebay for $329.00 + shipping.

I was looking into getting them before my edge was delivered, and I'm glad that I waited to actually see my interior color.

I have a charcoal leather interior so I thought that I was going to order a grey headrest. Thankfully I waited and I ordered black headrests which match the existing leather seats perfectly. I actually like these headrests better because the top of the stock headrest leaned forward towards my head, and I didn't find that comfortable.

Some of my friends have seen my headrests and they did not know that it was aftermarket.

Heres the Ebay link for the headrest. They shipped directly from Hong Kong and I got them in 3 days to NY. ^_^

Awesome!!! Thanks so much for your help!!!!

:)

Readers should note that the NYEdge's DVD headrest players are not identical to those pictured in the Edge brochure/ in the accesories catalog. This is not to say they are not a good choice, just different. Ford's load through the top of the headrest, in a slot. They also have displays and menus which show the Ford logo.

To answer another's question, you don't need to have the NAV to use any headrest DVD player.

Yes, the DVD headrest units run independent of the factory dvd stereo unit.

My headrests don't display a Ford logo on the screen, but then again, the back seat passengers are more interested in watching a movie or listening to a cd.

I debated on a top load unit but since I have kids, I decided to get these because they can actually reach the area to install the DVD without removing their seatbelts.

There are side loading DVD headrests, but I thought that the side pillar on the passenger side would interfere. (both headrests would load on the right side)

The way I look at it, $329.00 + shipping and 30 minutes of my time to install them is a lot better than $1,600.00 or so from the dealer.

Besides, I'm a hands on guy and get a certain satisfaction and pride in doing things myself. :victory:

Readers should note that the NYEdge's DVD headrest players are not identical to those pictured in the Edge brochure/ in the accesories catalog. This is not to say they are not a good choice, just different. Ford's load through the top of the headrest, in a slot. They also have displays and menus which show the Ford logo.

To answer another's question, you don't need to have the NAV to use any headrest DVD player.

hello..(speaking for myself) Yes, I already knew that they were not from Ford Factory because he stated he got them from e-bay and gave the link...

But thank you for your input...

:)

Yes, the DVD headrest units run independent of the factory dvd stereo unit.

My headrests don't display a Ford logo on the screen, but then again, the back seat passengers are more interested in watching a movie or listening to a cd.

I debated on a top load unit but since I have kids, I decided to get these because they can actually reach the area to install the DVD without removing their seatbelts.

There are side loading DVD headrests, but I thought that the side pillar on the passenger side would interfere. (both headrests would load on the right side)

The way I look at it, $329.00 + shipping and 30 minutes of my time to install them is a lot better than $1,600.00 or so from the dealer.

Besides, I'm a hands on guy and get a certain satisfaction and pride in doing things myself. :victory:

Hey, hands on is a great thing! Saves money in the long run most of the time...

:shades:

• 2 weeks later...

I have the DVD headrests in my MKX and they are wonderful. I have one kid but I also pick up my nieces a lot of the time and it gives them something to watch (mainly ELMO) while I am listening to my cds or radio. It was an add on for me but the dealer did it and I believe it cost 2100 bucks from the dealer and installed. For me it was well worth it but I give the one guy a lot of credit for getting it off of ebay and very cheap! Save a lot of money if you have the time and engery to do it! Way to go!

So if I bought these off EBAY and tried to do the install as you have done NYEdge, all I need to do is remove old headrests replace with new headrests and how much wiring am I looking at?

Thanks, I like to "try" to be hands on, but I am somewhat of a mechanical moron...lol

JIMMERZ;

The factory headrest comes out easily enough. Just pry out the side plastic covers at the base of the headrest and it's out.

The DVD headrests come with a wire harness on each poles that serves seperate functions. One is for the power and video out, and the other is for video in.

After the units are installed, the wire leads are long enough to extend out from the seat bottom to make your connections to the fused power unit.

It was easier for me to start at the top (headrest holes) and by using an electrical snake (hard steel wire for pulling electrical wires) I fished it down the seat and out the bottom area. I then pulled up the proper harness wire after taping it to the snake.

After doing this four times (once for each headrest pole) the DVD headrest just slides right in.

I snaked the wires from one unit under the arm rest and under the other seat were I made the connections, and then hard wired it into the vehicle to have power when the vehicle is running only.

The only thing I had to purchase besides the headrests were 6 RCA "male to male" junction plugs.

The video in and out cables are both RCA "female" plugs and in order to connect them the "male to male" adapter plugs were needed.

After testing the seat wire harness I found an appropriate 12v source for the units. (Always use a digital multi-meter to test wires, not a dummy light)

Upon connecting the positive and negative wires, the install was done.

I kept the wires under the passenger seat out of harms way. If you were to take some additional time; which I might do someday, I believe that the center arm rest can be removed or partially removed in order to store all the wires without a fear of them getting damaged from the power seats.

All in all, it is not difficult. I have done many electrical upgrades in vehicles and this one was very easy and took a relatively short period of time.

After our recent trip to the Jersey shore from NY, my two kids (7 & 9) were extremely quite during the 2 1/2 ride each way. (using the wireless headphones.)

In my opinion, it was well worth the time and money! :P

• 2 years later...

Figured I'd try posting here since the other one isn't getting much play (and is in the Engine/transmission forum for some reason!).

NYEdge, can you tell me who the seller was on ebay? The link is no longer working, also, can you respost your pic?

Thanks!

Steve

Are these them?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-9-Headrest-LCD-Ca...34.c0.m14.l1262

Seems to have both 9" and 7" versions available. Just wondering how prone they are to skipping on the roads and how long they'll last?

Mind you, I can get 4 pairs for the same price as the 1 Ford wanted to install. But the Ford ones were top loading which seems cool.

Are these them?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-9-Headrest-LCD-Ca...34.c0.m14.l1262

Seems to have both 9" and 7" versions available. Just wondering how prone they are to skipping on the roads and how long they'll last?

Mind you, I can get 4 pairs for the same price as the 1 Ford wanted to install. But the Ford ones were top loading which seems cool.

Yes, that's the seller.

They don't skip while driving and for the price, it has been well worth it.

Yes, that's the seller.

They don't skip while driving and for the price, it has been well worth it.

Excellent, thanks! Love the black look on your Edge btw. For me it was either black or white, ended up with white (owned a black car and it drove me nuts trying to keep it clean in Toronto, though when clean it was d*mn n ice!).

Excellent, thanks! Love the black look on your Edge btw. For me it was either black or white, ended up with white (owned a black car and it drove me nuts trying to keep it clean in Toronto, though when clean it was d*mn n ice!).

NYEdge, any chance you could take a pic of below the seat where you hooked up the power to the 12V "source"?

Tx