AC smell

latintiger

Hello everyone,

Searched around for this but didnt find anything....

When we run our AC, for about the first 15 or 20 seconds, the air that comes out of our vents has an odor to it. After those 15-20 seconds, the smell is gone. My first thought was that the cabin filter needed to be replaced. But apparently it doesn't have one. Dont know what else it could be and was hoping that one of you could point me in the right direction or give me an easy fix. Thanks.

Hello everyone,

Searched around for this but didnt find anything....

When we run our AC, for about the first 15 or 20 seconds, the air that comes out of our vents has an odor to it. After those 15-20 seconds, the smell is gone. My first thought was that the cabin filter needed to be replaced. But apparently it doesn't have one. Dont know what else it could be and was hoping that one of you could point me in the right direction or give me an easy fix. Thanks.

Hi latintiger. :D It is simply moisture/stale air. Not much you can do.

Keep the exterior air inlets (in the cowl area) clear of leaves and other debris. Avoid parking under trees if possible to minimize such debris falling on your car.

You can run an A/C deodorizing spray through the cowl inlets once in a while.

It also helps to run the HVAC system on the vent setting for a few minutes before turning off the car. This will help to dry out the system and minimize the moisture problem. But of course, this is not always convenient.

Wouldn't hurt to mention it to the Service Department next time you have your car in for a visit.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Hi latintiger. :D It is simply moisture/stale air. Not much you can do.

Keep the exterior air inlets (in the cowl area) clear of leaves and other debris. Avoid parking under trees if possible to minimize such debris falling on your car.

You can run an A/C deodorizing spray through the cowl inlets once in a while.

It also helps to run the HVAC system on the vent setting for a few minutes before turning off the car. This will help to dry out the system and minimize the moisture problem. But of course, this is not always convenient.

Wouldn't hurt to mention it to the Service Department next time you have your car in for a visit.

Thanks. But for the most part, it's parked in the garage.

We could drive to the store, park, shut off the vehicle and when we go to leave again, usually about an hour later, we run the ac and there's that smell again.

I also have a friend that has an edge and asked them if they had any issues with the ac and they said no.

My other car which is parked in the same garage doesn't have that scent when i run the ac.

But I guess it seems as though I might have to bite the bullet and take it in for service, trying to avoid it because of the inconvenience.

But thanks again.

Thanks. But for the most part, it's parked in the garage.

We could drive to the store, park, shut off the vehicle and when we go to leave again, usually about an hour later, we run the ac and there's that smell again.

I also have a friend that has an edge and asked them if they had any issues with the ac and they said no.

My other car which is parked in the same garage doesn't have that scent when i run the ac.

But I guess it seems as though I might have to bite the bullet and take it in for service, trying to avoid it because of the inconvenience.

But thanks again.

Hi latintiger. :D Sorry, my reply must have been a bit confusing.

Let me try again. The "smell" is usually caused by residual moisture deep in the HVAC duct system. The ducts can become dark, wet places, and that can lead to a smell/mold condition. This can be caused by any of many vasriables, such as a clogged drainage tube in the system, leaves or other debris clogging the inlet grills by the cowl, etc etc. The clogged drain tube or other problems can cause residual moisture to collect in the system, causing a smell/mold problem.

Just because you park indoors and do not have leaves or other debris in in the cowl area does not eliminate the other possibilities.

One way to see if you have residual moisture in the system is to turn off the A/C and run the system on vent for several minutes before shutting off the car. This will help to dry up any residual moisture caused by A/C condensation. If this method does work, then it is likely a residual moisture problem causing the smell/mold condition.

Another is to use any of the A/C disinfectant and deodorant sprays that are available at auto parts stores. You follow the directions, usually spraying it in the cowl air inlet while running the HVAC system. The spray will then run through the duct work and helps to minimize the problem. But it is a temporary solution and will need to be periodically repeated.

In the end however (as you guessed), your best bet is to bring your car in for diagnosis and service, especially if it is still under Warranty. In this way, if there is a clogged drain tube or other HVAC system defect, it can be properly diagnosed and repaired.

Let us know the outcome.

Hi latintiger. :D Sorry, my reply must have been a bit confusing.

Let me try again. The "smell" is usually caused by residual moisture deep in the HVAC duct system. The ducts can become dark, wet places, and that can lead to a smell/mold condition. This can be caused by any of many vasriables, such as a clogged drainage tube in the system, leaves or other debris clogging the inlet grills by the cowl, etc etc. The clogged drain tube or other problems can cause residual moisture to collect in the system, causing a smell/mold problem.

Just because you park indoors and do not have leaves or other debris in in the cowl area does not eliminate the other possibilities.

One way to see if you have residual moisture in the system is to turn off the A/C and run the system on vent for several minutes before shutting off the car. This will help to dry up any residual moisture caused by A/C condensation. If this method does work, then it is likely a residual moisture problem causing the smell/mold condition.

Another is to use any of the A/C disinfectant and deodorant sprays that are available at auto parts stores. You follow the directions, usually spraying it in the cowl air inlet while running the HVAC system. The spray will then run through the duct work and helps to minimize the problem. But it is a temporary solution and will need to be periodically repeated.

In the end however (as you guessed), your best bet is to bring your car in for diagnosis and service, especially if it is still under Warranty. In this way, if there is a clogged drain tube or other HVAC system defect, it can be properly diagnosed and repaired.

Let us know the outcome.

Mine stunk from the day I bought it brand new and I've now got 3000 miles on it. I live in dry Arizona so that tells me it's something else.

Mine stunk from the day I bought it brand new and I've now got 3000 miles on it. I live in dry Arizona so that tells me it's something else.

Hi 500 h.o.. :D Living in "dry Arizona" would have no affect on what goes on in the A/C ducts, where condensation will build up and not dry out if a drain line is clogged or other problem exists (since it is dark and damp).

Given the proper (or improper) conditions, you could wind up with an odor problem if you lived in Death Valley.

Moisture/mold in the system is only one of several possibilities that can lead to an odor problem. And that moisture/mold can be caused by any of a series of problems/defects and in any environment (even Arizona).

However, since none of us can carry out a truly accurate diagnosis over the Internet, a trip to the Dealer for diagnosis and Warranty service would be in order for your car. If you have not already done so, make a service appointment and let your Warranty take care of the problem.

Edited by bbf2530

Just in case you didn't know this, the cabin filter is located behind the glovebox. I brought my MKX to the dealer complaining about a cloud of dust coming out the vents when the system starts. The service advisor was looking under the hood for the filter & said I must not have one. Once I figured out where it was, I removed it & it was packed solid with debris. I replaced it & most of the dust stopped. A year later & the dust problem has returned. I just ordered another new filter.

Hi 500 h.o.. :D Living in "dry Arizona" would have no affect on what goes on in the A/C ducts, where condensation will build up and not dry out if a drain line is clogged or other problem exists (since it is dark and damp).

Given the proper (or improper) conditions, you could wind up with an odor problem if you lived in Death Valley.

Moisture/mold in the system is only one of several possibilities that can lead to an odor problem. And that moisture/mold can be caused by any of a series of problems/defects and in any environment (even Arizona).

However, since none of us can carry out a truly accurate diagnosis over the Internet, a trip to the Dealer for diagnosis and Warranty service would be in order for your car. If you have not already done so, make a service appointment and let your Warranty take care of the problem.

I've owned a lot of cars in my long life (new and used) and this has never been an issue with any of them. This tells me it's a design issue. And I also never use forums as a diagnostic tool as most forum members do not have automotive engineering degrees and are just average Joe's like the rest of us. Most employees at the dealership also are undereducated when it comes time to diagnostics. I always take my vehicle to a personal mechanic that I trust to get an unbiased diagnosis and fair pricing. I own a 2008 6.4 diesel Superduty as well that has never seen the inside of a dealership and I don't plan on taking the Edge there unless it is for a warranty repair such as the stinky ventilation system. Although I appreciate your opinion, I take it with a grain of salt.

I've owned a lot of cars in my long life (new and used) and this has never been an issue with any of them. This tells me it's a design issue. And I also never use forums as a diagnostic tool as most forum members do not have automotive engineering degrees and are just average Joe's like the rest of us. Most employees at the dealership also are undereducated when it comes time to diagnostics. I always take my vehicle to a personal mechanic that I trust to get an unbiased diagnosis and fair pricing. I own a 2008 6.4 diesel Superduty as well that has never seen the inside of a dealership and I don't plan on taking the Edge there unless it is for a warranty repair such as the stinky ventilation system. Although I appreciate your opinion, I take it with a grain of salt.

Hi 500 h.o.. :D Then we agree. I always tell people to take Internet advice with a grain of salt (including mine), and to seek a "known" professionals advice (as I did in my replies to latintiger), since we do not know the person/people behind the Internet advice. So, other than how the dry climate affects the duct work of an automotive A/C system in Arizona, we pretty much agree on things.

It certainly may be a "design issue". I am not debating that point. But bottom line, even if it is a "design issue", it is a "design issue" that is resulting in moisture being retained by the system. Retained moisture is likely what is causing the odor problem (it almost always is when dealing with odor problems in an automotive A/C system). And you debating me over wording is not going to get the cause diagnosed. Take it to your "personal mechanic" or the Dealership, have it looked at and please let us know the diagnosis and repair procedure.

I simply gave latintiger some Internet opinions as to what could possibly be causing the odor problem, and then recommended having his/her Edge diagnosed and repaired under Warranty by a professional (as you state you will probably eventually do). Any other Internet diagnosis by any of us, including you/me, is strictly speculation. If latintiger wishes instead to take it to a "personal mechanic", that is their prerogative. I don't have to tell him/her to do that.

And with all due respect, I would like to politely remind you that I was answering a question that latintiger asked when you interjected with your opinion (directly quoting my reply when you did so) that living in "dry Arizona" would preclude moisture being a problem in your A/C system (although latintiger is the individual asking for help, not you). I simply responded with a fact. And that fact is that living in a dry climate will not help one bit if there is a defect in the A/C system causing it to retain moisture. Whether a "design defect", a blocked drainage tube, or any other cause, something is in the A/C ventilation system causing an odor problem. And that something is almost always moisture, whatever the cause.

Other than providing that widely known information, I don't recall ever asking you to trust my opinion unwaveringly.

Nevertheless, we are here to try and help others and share experiences. But it is funny, sometimes we are "damned if we do and damned if we don't". If we tell someone to go to the Dealership Service Department (while still under Warranty) or a private Professional Automotive Mechanic for diagnosis/repair instead of taking advice from strangers on the Internet, some people complain about that advice. And if we instead give our opinion (Internet advice) as to what a problem may be caused by, others complain about that advice. I played it safe and did both, and what a surprise, still "damned if I did". In the end, I honestly do not see what value this conversation is adding to the situation latintiger is having.

So again, whatever method you decide to try, be it a "personal mechanic", Dealership Service Department, etc., I certainly hope you find the source of your A/C odor problem. Be sure to let us know what the final outcome is, as that information may assist others.

Edited by bbf2530

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I just picked my 2008 Edge up from the dealer and they were nice enough to do an "ozone treatment" to try and clean the odor out. Both my dad and I bought the same car, same day and they both were transfered from a dealer in Miami. Both have the smell but it has gotten noticeably better with the treatment.

Good luck