Rollback/forward when parking and slightly harder to change gear

garchev

Hi everyone,

My Edge is 2009 SE, 3,000 km and I started to observe the following problem. When parking in a steeper ground (but nothing like a hill), I observe a roll-forward. Then, when I try to shift to rear or "D", there is a noticeable "cling" (I guess) in the transmission -- it is definitely not smooth as it is when the road is horizontal.

Do you all have this? It doesn't sound normal to me.

Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone,

My Edge is 2009 SE, 3,000 km and I started to observe the following problem. When parking in a steeper ground (but nothing like a hill), I observe a roll-forward. Then, when I try to shift to rear or "D", there is a noticeable "cling" (I guess) in the transmission -- it is definitely not smooth as it is when the road is horizontal.

Do you all have this? It doesn't sound normal to me.

Thanks in advance.

It's normal. The transmission has a parking pawl that engages when you put the transmission in park. This keeps the drivetrain from moving. It's like putting a stick into a bicycle wheel to keep it from moving. When you park on a hill and don't use the parking brake, the drivetrain pinches the parking pawl and when you shift out of park it can make a noise and can be hard to shift.

When you park on a hill, before you put the tranny in park fully engage the parking brake, then shift into park. This will take the load off the parking pawl and should eliminate the noise