Transmission Issues

I have towed my 2008 Ford Edge, Front Wheel Drive, about 7000 miles. It tows great and I love the car. One thing concerns me. Every time I get back from a trip and park the car in my garage, I get a very, very strong hot transmission smell. I only get the smell after the car is started up and driven after towing. I smell nothing when I check the car, while it is still hooked up, along the road. The fluid is not burned when I pull the dipstick and the car performs fine. The smell goes away after driving it a few miles but I am concerned. I have read and re-read the instructions and I am following the manual exactly. The Ford dealership where I bought the car has no answer. The Edge has 12,000 miles on it. Does anyone else have this issue?

• 1 month later...
I have towed my 2008 Ford Edge, Front Wheel Drive, about 7000 miles. It tows great and I love the car. One thing concerns me. Every time I get back from a trip and park the car in my garage, I get a very, very strong hot transmission smell. I only get the smell after the car is started up and driven after towing. I smell nothing when I check the car, while it is still hooked up, along the road. The fluid is not burned when I pull the dipstick and the car performs fine. The smell goes away after driving it a few miles but I am concerned. I have read and re-read the instructions and I am following the manual exactly. The Ford dealership where I bought the car has no answer. The Edge has 12,000 miles on it. Does anyone else have this issue?

I'll assume you are within the weight limits? Have you considered an extra trans cooler? They are pretty cheap.

• Like 1