I want to open the driver door farther?

I have a 10' Edge... and I want to be able to open the driver side door farther. Any way I can do this? Maybe get some custom hinges off the internet...or would I be lucky enough to find a bolt-on? A guy at a body shop looked at it this week and said he wasn't sure it you could. On the stock hinges they have a part that sticks up so it catches. Also there is that black piece that stops the door. Has anyone ever done this or heard of someone doing this? If I could get just about 10-20 more degrees it would be perfect.

Thanks if anyone has advice on this!

I have a 10' Edge... and I want to be able to open the driver side door farther. Any way I can do this? Maybe get some custom hinges off the internet...or would I be lucky enough to find a bolt-on? A guy at a body shop looked at it this week and said he wasn't sure it you could. On the stock hinges they have a part that sticks up so it catches. Also there is that black piece that stops the door. Has anyone ever done this or heard of someone doing this? If I could get just about 10-20 more degrees it would be perfect.

Hi Clayton. :D Have not heard of any ready made parts for that. An educated guess? Most likely would need to have something custom fabricated. Perhaps a shop that specializes in modifying cars for people with physical disabilities?

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Find a busy arterial and park along the edge. Wait for a car to approach and throw open door. Presto!

Hi Clayton. :D Have not heard of any ready made parts for that. An educated guess? Most likely would need to have something custom fabricated. Perhaps a shop that specializes in modifying cars for people with physical disabilities?

Good luck. :beerchug:

My Edge is at the shop that installs the hand controls right now. The guy took a look at it and couldn't really tell if you could. The door looked to have the clearance in the door jam to open wider, but you would have to mess with the hinges. Google is normally my best friend, but I'm striking out right now.

it sure seems like this mod is possible. as you said and we know with hinges, there are stops, or bends, built into the hinge to stop how far out it opens. do not see any reason why those could not be adjusted - ground down, notch, widen, welded, etc - to allow a bit more openness. there should be enough slack in the wiring to open farther, just a matter of finding a place to visualize it and make it happen. does not seem like rocket science.

if they can make lambo and gull wing doors, this should be a piece of cake as it is 10x less modification and metal working effort.