Looking into installing a Sony Xplod sound system. Screws up SYNC?

I'm loving the features I've got in my 2009 Edge, yet I feel the need to install a sound system powerful enough to handle the music that I play. I'm more into Electronic music such as House. A few months ago, I was blown away by Sony's Xplod system which a friend of mine has purchased for her little Picanto. I'm just wondering if it is possible to install that kind of system without screwing up SYNC.

Also, would it actually make the warranty from Ford void?

Thanks

Crow

Are you looking to replace just the speakers or the head unit also?

If just speakers then no. if the head unit also you will need to look into the sync retension harness. they tend to cost like $200 just for the harness.

Did your friend have a factory radio going to the xplode equipment? If you leave your factory head in it may not sound like your friends. Audio engineers (at ford or who makes the radios) set up the factory heads to sound the best possible with the factory speakers. My findings usually with replacing just the speakers is you will loose a little low end (bass) sound from then.

Are you looking to replace just the speakers or the head unit also?

If just speakers then no. if the head unit also you will need to look into the sync retension harness. they tend to cost like $200 just for the harness.

Did your friend have a factory radio going to the xplode equipment? If you leave your factory head in it may not sound like your friends. Audio engineers (at ford or who makes the radios) set up the factory heads to sound the best possible with the factory speakers. My findings usually with replacing just the speakers is you will loose a little low end (bass) sound from then.

I do want to replace the speakers only and install new speakers and a woofer. However, now that you mentioned that the sound quality (high, mid, & low) won't be top notch, I wonder what I can do to actually get the most out of the system while still keeping SYNC and other related features that the head-in provides.

I'm not sure how my friend installed the whole system, but she did replace her head-in equipment with Sony's since her car is old and does not really have many features.

if the head unit also you will need to look into the sync retension harness

What's a SYNC retention harness? What does it do? How does it look like? And where can I get it from?

Sony Does well in a rather large enclosure, preferably a dumpster. Sony makes great tvs not car audio go with just about anyone but them.

If Sony is not good enough, would you kindly advise on what other manufacturers I can go for?

Thanks guys!

Crow

Sony Does well in a rather large enclosure, preferably a dumpster. Sony makes great tvs not car audio go with just about anyone but them.

I'd have to disagree. I had a Sony CDXGT930 in my MPV that was great. Had a tone of features, especially for the price. And the sound quailty was awesome. Sony may not be your personal preference, but most reviewers on Crutchfield and Amazon would disagree with you.

Here is the SYNC retension piece

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_14328_...ampaign=froogle

They also make one that doesnt come with the screen for a little cheaper.

It all depends on the type of sound you are after. I personally have torn all the factory audio out except for the rear speakers. I have a set of 6.5" diamond components in the front. a crossfire 804 (front going to components, rear channels bridged to subs). for subs i have 2 JL audio 12W3. In a custom built box so you cant even tell they are in there. Head unit is a kenwood flip up unit kvt-512.

Back in the day (like 10 years ago) sony had nice car audio decks. but once they came out with the xplode series they went down hill. They are a budget system.

Edited by baum

• 2 months later...
Here is the SYNC retension piece

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_14328_...ampaign=froogle

They also make one that doesnt come with the screen for a little cheaper.

It all depends on the type of sound you are after. I personally have torn all the factory audio out except for the rear speakers. I have a set of 6.5" diamond components in the front. a crossfire 804 (front going to components, rear channels bridged to subs). for subs i have 2 JL audio 12W3. In a custom built box so you cant even tell they are in there. Head unit is a kenwood flip up unit kvt-512.

Back in the day (like 10 years ago) sony had nice car audio decks. but once they came out with the xplode series they went down hill. They are a budget system.

Do I understand your post to say you've used the AFSI-01 and replaced your head unit? Did you retain full SYNC functionality? Is it easy to interface with SYNC on your Head unit? Is the display on the AFS-01 necessary? I really want to upgrade my factory, Non NAV, radio.

Thanks in advance.

No when i replaced my radio i didnt care about the sync so i didnt buy the harness. I have the ipod cable for my new radio and the bluetooth piece so i didnt care about it.

Unless you buy a radio that has an aux input the ipod/aux plug part of sync will not get sound to the radio. you need that for that harness to work.

The display on the afs-01 shows the phone number of the caller, any other sync info (ipod stuff).

If you can get your hands on the older sony (not the xplode series) say like year 2000 or so then they made good equipment. The xplode series is "pawn shop" "walmart" entry level.