Valentine One

Has anyone wired the power to a radar detector thru the auto dimming mirror hole where the wire comes out in the overhead console?

How does the overhead light module come out,is a straight pull down or does it have concealed screws holding it in place,TIA,Marty

Edited by Depiry

I did this exact thing a few months back, very simple. The light unit pulls straight down, no screws. Unplug the light harness so you don't have the whole assembly hanging in your way. Tap into the green/yellow wire for power and ground the other wire onto the frame. I used the antenna bolt conveniently located right above the light assembly. I had to scrape the frame to expose the metal a little bit for a better ground. Loosen the bolt just enough to slip the wire underneath and then retighten. I tucked all the wires up there and ran the power wire down with the mirror wire and used black cable ties to keep it together. Easy!

• Like 1

Has anyone wired the power to a radar detector thru the auto dimming mirror hole where the wire comes out in the overhead console?

How does the overhead light module come out,is a straight pull down or does it have concealed screws holding it in place,TIA,Marty

I guess you're looking to hard-wire your Valentine 1? (Excellent radar detector choice... :rockon: ) I've not done this (yet) on the Edge, but have on 4 other cars. My advice...power off a circuit (from the fuse box) which come on/goes off when the key is on/off (ie: Power Windows circuit is what I've typically used). More recently, I've used something called 'add a circuit' (bought my last one at Pep-Boys). This thing takes the place of a fuse, maintains the current circuit and uses the fuse which was originally installed, as well as adds another fused circuit...no cutting wires, and can easily be returned to original condition by removing... One of the best mod's I'd ever done.

As far as running the wire, I've removed the trim pieces (a-pilar and the one along the headliner...if one is present), and then figure out how best to run the wire. I've not looked closely enough at the hole for the wires for the auto dimmer mirror...may not be hard to route....the Valentine uses very small wires (only one pair in a typical phone line cord), though you may/probably will need the entire phone cord (all wires w/ sheathing) to connect the modular jack which plugs into the Valentine. (Perhaps better put....I was thinking if you want to use the hole, and the phone cord won't fit, you could try running only the 2 wires which the Valentine needs through the hole...not sure how well this would work...I've not tried it...just a thought.)

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.