adding factory subwoofer enclosure to SE

I have a 2007 edge SE and would like to add a subwoofer without taking up cargo space. My rear trim panel has a storage box where the subwoofer grill is supposed to be. I want to add the factory enclosure and use my own amp and 8 inch woofer. I already have an aftermarket nav radio and new speakers, but want a little more bass.

Can I remove this box and will the speaker line up semi correctly. I would put some grill cloth to make it look hopefully neat. I really wish all of the trim panels were the same(thanks a lot ford) as a new trim panel is 200 or so dollars.

Anyone done this and how were the results?

My other idea is to remove one of the foam things and build a box to replace it and support the floor, but the factory enclosure seems like much less work.

Look into this, JL Audio Stealth box. its cheaper and a 10" woofer.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_stealth...php?fit_id=1606

$600 is a total rip off for that thing. I can get the edge enclosure for 70 bucks and a speaker for it for 50 or so.. don't see how a stealth box is cheaper.

I think I'm going to see If I can relocate the spare to one side of the floor and then put a couple of shallow mount 10's in a custom box that fits under and supports the floor May be a wedge design with some raised 1x4's or something that support the floor on the narrow end of the wedge. I won't feel bad putting an ugly box in there with the ugly spare tire. I gotta go measure under the floor, but the foam is 7 1/2 inches high plenty of room for shallow subs.

I would still like to know if the cubby box is easy to remove or not.. and if anyone has done it.

Edited by bmitchell4

Get a dremel and carefully cut out the storage box, get thick screen door mesh, cut out a piece that overlaps your storage box by about 2 inches and epoxy it to the backside of the quarter panel trim.

If you are careful with cutting the storage box out it will look great.

Then use the Ford enclosure and speaker there is foam around the speaker, depending on which way the mesh lies you may not even see the grey foam.

Get a dremel and carefully cut out the storage box, get thick screen door mesh, cut out a piece that overlaps your storage box by about 2 inches and epoxy it to the backside of the quarter panel trim.

If you are careful with cutting the storage box out it will look great.

Then use the Ford enclosure and speaker there is foam around the speaker, depending on which way the mesh lies you may not even see the grey foam.

Thanks, I may give this a try as I haven't built a box in around 10 years. I'm too old for too much bass anyway. wire mesh that is a good idea, may look ok on the camel color too.

got me a factory sub for 50 bucks on ebay!!! now to find me a good 8inch woofer, but want to check the mounting depth first. I'll post pics when I get this project complete.. still need to install amp, backup camera (if I ever find the reverse wire) , and the sub.

I dropped a 8" Kicker Solo Classic in the stock enclosure this summer. I was really impressed with how the plastic enclosure holds the bass.

I dropped a 8" Kicker Solo Classic in the stock enclosure this summer. I was really impressed with how the plastic enclosure holds the bass.

I went with a JBL GTO 8 inch woofer... I'm going to polyfill the enclosure I find that normally helps too. Not sure on the volume of the enclosure, but looking at the Kicker solo and the JBL I ordered they both call for .3cu ft of airspace.. so I'm glad yours sounds good. I'm going to put an old school kenwood amp under the rear seat if I can fit it under there. it's like 12x12x2 or something like that. Just have to wait on the brown truck for a while.

I went with a JBL GTO 8 inch woofer... I'm going to polyfill the enclosure I find that normally helps too. Not sure on the volume of the enclosure, but looking at the Kicker solo and the JBL I ordered they both call for .3cu ft of airspace.. so I'm glad yours sounds good. I'm going to put an old school kenwood amp under the rear seat if I can fit it under there. it's like 12x12x2 or something like that. Just have to wait on the brown truck for a while.

The enclosure actually had a little bit of poly fill in there, but I think it was mostly to keep the wires from rattling. I checked out that JBL sub and the mount depth is a hair taller than the Kicker. The depth shouldn't be a problem, but the Kicker magnet was too wide. A piece of the enclosure pushed the sub off center of the mounting holes. I had to make a custom bezel to raise and center the sub. Plus the mounting holes weren't the same as the stock sub.

The enclosure actually had a little bit of poly fill in there, but I think it was mostly to keep the wires from rattling. I checked out that JBL sub and the mount depth is a hair taller than the Kicker. The depth shouldn't be a problem, but the Kicker magnet was too wide. A piece of the enclosure pushed the sub off center of the mounting holes. I had to make a custom bezel to raise and center the sub. Plus the mounting holes weren't the same as the stock sub.

I may be in trouble there too.. the kicker looks to have a smaller basket, you probably could have just took off that rubber boot from the magnet and stuck it in.. I'll see what I can do there when I get my box in.. the thread here said the stock woofer was 5 inches deep so I based it off that. I can make a bezel if needed as long as it doesn't cause the woofer to contact the trim. or worst case take a hammer to the basket or cut and patch the plastic if it's not bumped there for a reason. I'm fairly determined to make it work. as an afterthought I probably should have gone with the polk it looks smaller.

I'm hopeful it will just drop in, each manufacturer seems to have a different definition of a inch. once I took out an infinity sub and tried to put in a pioneer sub of the same size and had to widen the cutout.

another tip is instead of poly fill use fiberglass insulation it usually does a better job, but is messy. my woofer comes in tomorrow, maybe the basket won't be as big in real life as it is in the picture. The box is on a slow boat somewhere.

Edited by bmitchell4

bmithchell, i actually did your first thought about 5 months ago. I took out he two storage compartments around the spare, I lifted the floor of the trunk up about 2" and i have 2 JL 12w3 mounted there. i built the boxes out of mdf and fiberglass. I still have full access to the spare.

bmithchell, i actually did your first thought about 5 months ago. I took out he two storage compartments around the spare, I lifted the floor of the trunk up about 2" and i have 2 JL 12w3 mounted there. i built the boxes out of mdf and fiberglass. I still have full access to the spare.

Dude that sounds awesome, do you have any pictures? How much RMS is going to the 12's?

got my box and sub in today... yup the thing hits the bump on the side.. I just spent 3 or 4 hours making the donut counting the hour I looked for a compass to draw a circle.. I hope the woofer doesn't hit the interior trim when I put it in . I used some shelving that I had laying around and cut it with a jigsaw.. its fits great now.. looks about 5/8 inch thick.. end how thick was your donut/bezel?

my advice to people looking for an easy replacement is to check the magnet structure before purchase. the holes probably won't line up, but they are sealed anyway from the back. just throw some screws in the box and go with it. also the stock wire is thin put in some thicker wire.

I have so much crap to hook up.. wiring, amp, camera, maybe another amp. It's always worth it though.

baum I can't imagine having 12's in there.. I was debating on moving the spare to one side and dropping in some shallow mount 10's, but I'll give the 8 a go for now with 400 rms to the small speaker.

baum, want to sell those storage compartments??? i have Styrofoam there

Edited by bmitchell4

I think my bezel was a 1/2 inch thick, so yeah something similar to yours. Here's a picture I posted: http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?sho...amp;#entry28841

I feel for the work you have to do... I did in-dash dvd, steering wheel controls, video bypass, backseat video, navigation breakout box, door speakers, subwoofer, subwoofer amp, license plate camera, and rear view mirror LCD. But yeah, totally worth it.

I will try and take some pics.

The subs you cant see because i didnt want the visible so i used a metal grill material (expanded sheet metal) over each sub fastened to a 1/2" mdf. I have it supported enough that i have had then entire cargo area full with luguage and no problems at all. The boxes were roughly the shape of the cargo storage containers. I did a fiberglass bottom to contour to the bottom of the car. the rest was 3/4" mdf. I made 2 seperate boxes for each side.I figured there they are just shy of 1 cubic foot of airspace so i used some polyfill in each box also. I have a center piece above the spare that is hinged in place so i have full access to the spare. I have the amp mounted to the bottom of this piece . Keep in mid this amp is like 15-18" long.

Amp is a crossfire vr804 its like a 100 x 4, however i am using the rear channels to the subs bridged its like 400 or so. The front channel is running diamond d6 components, stock rears off of deck power. a kenwood kvt-512 head unit.

bmitchell, unfortunately it is taking up space in the garage but i dont want to get rid of it. i will put them back in when i get rid of it. Mine came with all the cargo stuff, the net, those plastic bins, and the rubber liner.

pic of my box / bezel hopefully installed tomorrow.. don't blame you man, I'd hang onto the storage compartments too as they are impossible to find for a decent price.

although now that I think about it I've let stereo equipment go with all my cars.. I always think I can take it out when I'm putting it in, but when it comes to it I usually let half of it go with the vehicle. Mostly because I wanted new stuff.

post-7597-1255746133_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

did you got your box from this seller greenleafprime on Ebay?

pic of my box / bezel hopefully installed tomorrow.. don't blame you man, I'd hang onto the storage compartments too as they are impossible to find for a decent price.

although now that I think about it I've let stereo equipment go with all my cars.. I always think I can take it out when I'm putting it in, but when it comes to it I usually let half of it go with the vehicle. Mostly because I wanted new stuff.

did you got your box from this seller greenleafprime on Ebay?

no, I seen some on there for 100 bucks and found another one listed for 35 and 15 shipping.. noone else bid so I got it for that. I forgot the sellers ID it started with C and they had a bunch of used car parts.

it also came with an amp and speaker, but I discarded those.

edit http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

is the one i purchased

Edited by bmitchell4