Infinity Kappa 6x8s

I've noticed several of you like these speakers as factory replacements. Have narrowed these down as one of a final few choices for our '07 MKX to replace the factory door speakers front and rear. Just wondering how they are holding up as far as reliability and sound quality. Thanks.

Just changing speakers will make no difference at all. Why change speakers if you do not "crank it loud" waste of money if you ask me. The most important thing with speakers is to have adequate power to drive them. You want to match the power out put to the speakers RMS. Stock speakers when delivered more juice will have a night and day difference in sound. Try amping the stock speakers, and if that is not adequate, you can always upgrade as you will need the amp anyway. Peace !

BTW, Infinity kappas were the shizzle like 5 years ago. There are better speakers out there that are cheaper.

Edited by BlazedUp

Just changing speakers will make no difference at all. Why change speakers if you do not "crank it loud" waste of money if you ask me. The most important thing with speakers is to have adequate power to drive them. You want to match the power out put to the speakers RMS. Stock speakers when delivered more juice will have a night and day difference in sound. Try amping the stock speakers, and if that is not adequate, you can always upgrade as you will need the amp anyway. Peace !

BTW, Infinity kappas were the shizzle like 5 years ago. There are better speakers out there that are cheaper.

Changing the speakers makes a HUGE difference if you have the standard stock stereo system. The audiophile junk may be OK, but even with those good aftermarket speakers are far from a waste of money. You get more clarity and more treble.

I first changed out the stock speakers with some mb quart discus 6x8's for about 60 bucks and the difference was night and day in the upper frequency ranges. later I replaced the stock radio with a clarion nx409 which has 19W rms per channel and it sounded even better.. now I added an amp to them and send 75W rms they sound pretty good with 75 watts, but I think the crossover on the amp helped more than the extra power. Also those speakers aren't the best, they are lacking in the midbass department so don't take it as me recommending them, but they have nice tweeters. If I was buying again I'd look at some different speakers at that price point. I still have the stock speakers in the back so you can use the fader to compare how bad the stock ones are.

Bottom line is you can read numbers on speakers all day long and can't tell which sound the best. i wouldn't worry about the power rating of the speaker too much (i have no idea what mine are rated for), just get one that is sensitive if you don't plan to amp them. get a reputable brand of speaker and you'll be ok. If I was to do it over I would go with the boston acoustics 6x8. or consider some polks, JBL, infinity,cerwin vega, kicker, etc. If money is no object people seem to like focals. If you can listen before you buy that's even better.

I'll agree with blazed up on amping the speaker.. it will also make a significant difference, but don't expect good highs with a wizzercone that is on the stock drivers.

Yeah, the wizzer cones do suck. Having speakers amped you must have speakers that can handle the juice. The more power you have driving the speaker, the louder you can crank it without getting any distortion. I would like to change the sub out but I would also like to amp it at the same time.

the sub was a pain to swap, probably because of my choice of sub.. check the magnet structure the narrower the better. I'd try the polk sub at crutchfield if i had it to do over I'm thinking it may just drop in with some new mounting holes, but not sure. I had to raise my sub out of the box 3/4 inch to get ti not to contact a bump on the box which contacted the side of the magnet. I amped my 8 inch jbl sub with a 400 watt kenwood, but then swapped that amp for a 75x4 infinity where the rear is bridged to the sub and the fronts are stereo.. sounds about the same on the sub. It works surprisingly good though, but plays too deep for my tastes as I stuffed too much poly in it and am too lazy to take some out.

I'm never 100% happy with my audio equipment, I think it's an addiction. If I didn't throw a bike in the back on a regular basis I'd throw in a couple of 10 inch subs in a regular box and let it eat. At this point in my life though I just want something that sounds good playing pearl jam and not bass that shakes my mirrors off, and that's pretty much what my setup does.