HID with daylight running lights

This is covered somewhere I just can’t find it.

I did a few searches, HID DRL, Canada and found this

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?sho...995&hl=HID*

or you might PM retrosolutions I THINK they have a solution.

Here’s a link to their group buy.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2045

Note to Todd:

You probably need to start a new thread for your Group Buy.

ab

I have HID head light in my edge I went a little different way with mine.I switched my headlight plug in with my fog lights so now I have silverstars bulbs in my fog light lens an come on as my running light DRL during the day.I leave my switch in auto spot with fog lights on so when it gets dark headlights come on automatically.So now during the day no headlight just fogs.HID work great no flickering still use relay harness.Neg.. to this App when you turn on high beam low beam turn off (like fogs would) but now your fog lights stay on now because they are the low beam..I have 8000k HID so I really never use high beam.... :idea: hope that makes sence !!!!!

I have HID head light in my edge I went a little different way with mine.I switched my headlight plug in with my fog lights so now I have silverstars bulbs in my fog light lens an come on as my running light DRL during the day.I leave my switch in auto spot with fog lights on so when it gets dark headlights come on automatically.So now during the day no headlight just fogs.HID work great no flickering still use relay harness.Neg.. to this App when you turn on high beam low beam turn off (like fogs would) but now your fog lights stay on now because they are the low beam..I have 8000k HID so I really never use high beam.... :idea: hope that makes sence !!!!!

Dymes, details, details, details my friend. I've been looking into this same problem negotiating a solution. I've been through all kinds of schematics and haven't come up with anything. So to hear you say that you simply switched the HL plug with your FL plug, well, I'm feeling a little like it sounds too easy. Can you post some pics of the switch, plugs 'n' such? Perhaps a little DIY??

Thanks a bunch.

HID's can never be used as DRL's

Normally if you have normal H4 bulbs then they are used as DRL's with a lower voltage PWM signal from the SPDJB.

HID's will never work at the lower voltage since they will not "strike the arc".

The only soln is to use the fog lights as the DRL (all Ford/Lincoln products that have HID's and are sold in Canada use the fog lamps Flex, Navigator, MKT, MKZ etc – if they have HID's then the fog lamps do the DRL part)

The only concern would be that those vehicles are homolgated and approved by the Canadian govt to use the fog lamps.

If you do it to your Edge – I don't know where you stand from a legal prespective.

HID's can never be used as DRL's

Normally if you have normal H4 bulbs then they are used as DRL's with a lower voltage PWM signal from the SPDJB.

HID's will never work at the lower voltage since they will not "strike the arc".

The only soln is to use the fog lights as the DRL (all Ford/Lincoln products that have HID's and are sold in Canada use the fog lamps Flex, Navigator, MKT, MKZ etc – if they have HID's then the fog lamps do the DRL part)

The only concern would be that those vehicles are homolgated and approved by the Canadian govt to use the fog lamps.

If you do it to your Edge – I don't know where you stand from a legal prespective.

Tanjima, I've learned this through my investigation and I would actually prefer my fogs or parking lights to be used as DRLs instead of my HLs. What I did find out while digging around was that you CAN use your HIDs as DRLs but the side effect would be that they would be running full strength all the time. NOT what I'm looking for. This is done by adding a capacitor in-line to "smooth" out the pulsing current to the lights.

On a side note, if I was worried about what was legal and not, I wouldn't be entertaining the idea of HIDs.

Sorry for the delay in responding. It took me about an hour to set up everything.

Steps

1 Peel off the the tape from head light wires so they are is only the 2 wires about 12ins retape them back up as headlight wires only.

2 The wires should now reach the fog lights an plug them in !!! ( tape up passenger side original fog light wire nolonger need)

3 On the drivers side take original fog light plug an plug it in to relay harness (U only need one connection for harness)

4 Connect relay harness to to HID ballast left side an right side an connect bulbs in to headlights.

5 Relay harness needs to be grounded my harness had ground wire on left side an right side an then connect positive to the battery !!

That's it really, now with switch in auto an pulled out your light will work as fog light runnig light during the day an at nite your HID will auto, come on !!

will try an get some pic this weekend..

Sorry for the delay in responding. It took me about an hour to set up everything.

Steps

1 Peel off the the tape from head light wires so they are is only the 2 wires about 12ins retape them back up as headlight wires only.

2 The wires should now reach the fog lights an plug them in !!! ( tape up passenger side original fog light wire nolonger need)

3 On the drivers side take original fog light plug an plug it in to relay harness (U only need one connection for harness)

4 Connect relay harness to to HID ballast left side an right side an connect bulbs in to headlights.

5 Relay harness needs to be grounded my harness had ground wire on left side an right side an then connect positive to the battery !!

That's it really, now with switch in auto an pulled out your light will work as fog light runnig light during the day an at nite your HID will auto, come on !!

will try an get some pic this weekend..

Pics would be awesome. I think I understand what you're saying but some pics will be a huge help.

Thanks again!!