bike rack for factory crossbars

If you happen to own a bike with a carbon fiber frame, you may want to avoid this style of carrier. I'f heard of people having issues with the frame clamp rubbing through the gel coat into the layup, basically ruining the frame. For carbon fiber bikes, look for a carrier that grabs the tires only.

Yakima High Roller is a great option if you prefer to transport your bike with both wheels on

Yes these are for the roof.. I don't have a carbon bike yet, but I know the dangers of overclamping the downtube.. for the price I couldn't pass it up, I'd like a fork mount for the roof, but I fear the hatch would contact it. This one seems like it would move the bike and tray forward by leaving the wheel on. my bikes are currently cheap I have a worn out trek fuel and an cheap road bike.

Here . . . look at my Thule Sidearm . . .

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?sho...0&hl=yakima

looks nice that's about what I am going for, the factory crossbars that I have are further back than that though and that has me concerned. probably a foot and a half further back. I was concerned about having to chop the tray, but I found those cheapo racks that the tray is 2 pieces so I can shorten that without cutting.

do you leave the rack on all the time or do you take it off? any significant noise or mpg problems.

with the factory crossbars I have noticed no extra noise at all.. it's a shame it didn't come with them. It's worth it just to stiffen the rails when I have to climb up and wash the roof even if my bike rack doesn't work out.

looks nice that's about what I am going for, the factory crossbars that I have are further back than that though and that has me concerned. probably a foot and a half further back. I was concerned about having to chop the tray, but I found those cheapo racks that the tray is 2 pieces so I can shorten that without cutting.

do you leave the rack on all the time or do you take it off? any significant noise or mpg problems.

with the factory crossbars I have noticed no extra noise at all.. it's a shame it didn't come with them. It's worth it just to stiffen the rails when I have to climb up and wash the roof even if my bike rack doesn't work out.

I put on the rack only when I need it. No significant noise, just enough that you know it's there but nothing that would deter you from having a decent conversation. Any time you had add something to the roof or anywhere that detracts from the natural aerodynamics of a vehicle, there will be some drag. How it effects your mpg and whether it is troublesome for you, only you can make that determination. Because I use the rack intermittently, it is not an issue for me. If you need it, it fits, it does what it needs to do without problem, go for it !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

just an update, I've had the rack on for a couple of tanks of gas an no noticeable drop in mileage. i usually get 20 to 22 and I got 20.5 on my last tank. I think the vehicle is inefficient anyway and there isn't enough wind resistance to make a difference. now if it would warm up I could report on driving with a bike on top, but I have not done that yet. I now carry a milk crate to stand on to put a bike up there though,