Question

igcitng

It's cold here. Yesterday was 4 degrees with a windchill of -20 or so. My Edge sat all day at work and when I left I let it run for a bit before taking off. I drove for about a half hour or so to get home at various speeds ranging from 30-55 mph. When I pulled onto my street I noticed a smell that at first made me think natural gas leak. But soon realized it was coming from the truck. Not an oil smell, not brakes, thinking it may be the antifreeze, but not sure why it would smell SO strong. It was bad. Went away and then today I drove the Edge for a couple of hours and at one point smelled it again, but it went away. So wondering if anyone has any thoughts on if it is an issue or if it could be related to some of the PTU and other issues that are discussed here. I dread facing the guys in the service department. Thanks.

Smells like a catalyst to me. At very cold ambient temperatures the vehicle runs rich (lots of gas) and when the rich exhaust hits the catalysts, it can create a rotten egg smell. I wouldn't worry about it. The computer will lean it out - just enough to keep it running. It is sometimes triggered by change in driving mode - highway speed then slow in the subdivision, or heavy acceleration.

It's cold here. Yesterday was 4 degrees with a windchill of -20 or so. My Edge sat all day at work and when I left I let it run for a bit before taking off. I drove for about a half hour or so to get home at various speeds ranging from 30-55 mph. When I pulled onto my street I noticed a smell that at first made me think natural gas leak. But soon realized it was coming from the truck. Not an oil smell, not brakes, thinking it may be the antifreeze, but not sure why it would smell SO strong. It was bad. Went away and then today I drove the Edge for a couple of hours and at one point smelled it again, but it went away. So wondering if anyone has any thoughts on if it is an issue or if it could be related to some of the PTU and other issues that are discussed here. I dread facing the guys in the service department. Thanks.

I would say possibly transaxle fluid...friend has one that had the seal go bad and it smells like transmission fluid on/off...esepcially after stepping on it a little.

Check for smoke and or leakage under the edge...transmission fluid is a horrible smell when burning...doesnt smell like anything you've smelt before.

I would say possibly transaxle fluid...friend has one that had the seal go bad and it smells like transmission fluid on/off...esepcially after stepping on it a little.

Check for smoke and or leakage under the edge...transmission fluid is a horrible smell when burning...doesnt smell like anything you've smelt before.

I will do that, it was a horrible smell unlike anything I have experienced before.

• 1 year later...

my 2008 awd has had a faint cat smell in the vents since I bought it unless I use re-circ... most noticeable after a bit of freeway driving and them come to a stop light or something.. recently it got very bad and smelled like oil also so I took it in and the PTU seal was leaking and something else, the launch control (?) or something was going bad.. both are being replaced today actually under warr.. thank goodness. It'll be interesting to see if I still have a stink in my vents without re-circ enabled.

• 3 weeks later...

Did you ever resolve your issue? I am having the same issue with my 2010. The dealer can't seem to pinpoint the origin of the odor. But it does smell like "Natural Gas".

Yes. They replaced the seals and it has been fine, even after a very very cold winter.