Winter Handling

chainsaw2608

I bought a 2008 Edge Limited AWD just two days before a record setting winter storm dropped 13" of snow on Oklahoma. We are a state that is more use to tornados than snow so the state doesn't invest in much snow removal equipment. I was very impressed with the handling and traction. I currently have the 20" Pirelli all season tires that came on it. Then yesterday we got over an inch of ice and now we have 3" of snow on top of the ice. This thing is still driving solid! I have 4WD SUV's in the past that didn't handle as well as the Edge.

• Like 1

I have an 08 with the 18" chrome wheels. I have been very happy with it this winter. We have had our share of ice this winter also, which makes me more nervous than snow to drive on. The only thing I have noticed with the Edge vs my 4WD trucks is that you lose a little grip on turns in the snow, not sure if it is the tires or the AWD making the difference.

We have the FWD version w/ 20" Pirelli Scorpion all season and no complaints so far :shades: The funny thing is that today we were driving up a relatively steep hill and there was a 4x4 which was struggling to get up an Icy/snowy hill, while we just effortlessly passed him by. Sharp turns do cause some slippage, but nothing major, just for a split second the tires will slip and then the traction control kicks right in and we are off with no problems. :shades:

Edited by k_m

• 1 year later...

I have an 08 with the 18" chrome wheels. I have been very happy with it this winter. We have had our share of ice this winter also, which makes me more nervous than snow to drive on. The only thing I have noticed with the Edge vs my 4WD trucks is that you lose a little grip on turns in the snow, not sure if it is the tires or the AWD making the difference.

I noticed that same thing with losing grip in turns and was wondering if it is the tires and the acceleration is just "overdriving" the tires. I've owned 2 Subarus in the past that seemed to be MUCH better in the snow than my 2010 Edge (but only half as good looking! :shades: )

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed that same thing with losing grip in turns and was wondering if it is the tires and the acceleration is just "overdriving" the tires. I've owned 2 Subarus in the past that seemed to be MUCH better in the snow than my 2010 Edge (but only half as good looking! :shades: )

The Ford Edge is heavier and has a different type of AWD system... Not much will out perform a Scooby in the snow! That said the Edge does very well in the snow. I have been pretty impressed with it.

The way the center dif functions makes it a bit unpredictable at times while driving it at (or over) the limit, but I've gotten the hang of it pretty well...

• 8 months later...

I bought my Ford Edge 07 a few months ago from a dealer, it seems in pretty good shape and drives like it's new.

I wanted to comment on winter driving though because it's something I've been trying to work out since the snow started to fall. My previous vehicle, a Ford Explorer '99 which I drove for quite a while was 2WD only but of course it was RWD. It did have problems getting stuck in deep/wet snow which is expected, but as long as it kept moving I loved it. There's something predictable about the way it throws its weight around and after a while I could handle turns with complete confidence in the outcome.

I also know however that FWD vehicles have a distinct advantage in snow, so I wondered if my first experience with AWD would give me the best of both worlds.

I'm still not completely sure what my verdict is on that. The first thing I noticed (like I'm sure many Edge users have) that acceleration is where this AWD vehicle really shines. Doesn't seem to matter what surface I'm on, if I hit the gas I will move forward as fast as I need to. However, when I compare handling to my old RWD Explorer, predictability is not the word I would choose. Coasting turns seem to be alright as long as I'm not traveling too fast, but when accelerating and turning at the same time, the Edge seems to change its mind half way through the turn. I start out with that familiar "controlled slide" feeling that I'm used to, and then all of a sudden the vehicle seems to gain a different kind of control and push me the way I'm pointed. I'm sure that's a good thing, except for I need that kind of control from the start of my turn, not part way through which forces me to make a quick adjustment to avoid oncoming traffic.

Back in October we got our first snow storm and only got to drive the Edge a little and can already tell it will take some getting used to. My previous ride was a Subaru Legacy GT which did very well in the snow but our other car is an Audi A4 that does even better. What I immediately noticed with the Edge is you can feel the transfer of power where both the subie and Audi it is basically undetectible. You just point and it goes, there is very little drama. The only drama in the subie was due to a large rear sway that made it tail happy at times. The Edge did fine pulling through the snow curl and I don't think I am at risk of getting stuck but it will take a little getting used to the shift of power.