sports cooling/towing ability?

I've ordered my class 3 hitch for my 2010 sport, there was no tow package available for this model from Ford and I'm wondering if it has the larger radiator and engine oil cooler like the Edges that come with the trailer tow packages. If not does ford sell a kit over the counter to recify this? With a 265hp engine you would think Ford would have made the Edge capable of a 5000 lbs tow capacity.

I've ordered my class 3 hitch for my 2010 sport, there was no tow package available for this model from Ford and I'm wondering if it has the larger radiator and engine oil cooler like the Edges that come with the trailer tow packages. If not does ford sell a kit over the counter to recify this? With a 265hp engine you would think Ford would have made the Edge capable of a 5000 lbs tow capacity.

i'm still waiting for my 2010 sport. i ordered it 4 weeks ago. i want to put a class 3 hitch on mine to. how is the clearence under the rear ground affects?

I've read that the hitchs that are for the Edge but exclude the Sport need to be spaced down if you want them to clear the rear ground effects. My hitch showed up today, I'm working overtime but will probably install it by next Tuesday. I'll take pictures of the install and post about the fitment. I've ordered a hidden hitch for a non-sport, which is all they offered at the time.

Monday,

I installed the Hidden Hitch today which is the same as a Draw-Tite. I cut 2 pieces of 3/4"x3" flatbar and drilled 19/32" holes into them, I also drilled and tapped a 6mmx1mm bolt hole into the side to attach the heat shields. Hidden Hitch wants you to sandwich the shield between the frame rails, I think this will cause a shimming effect and possible problems in the long run. I also had to purchase 2 1/2" x 1/2" carriage bolts to work with the spaced hitch assy. The hitch now pushes up on the rear fascia by 3/4", it also touches the exhaust and requires putting 1/2" high temp rubber hose on the rail of the hitch to prevent unwanted noise. All in all it looks good and the rear ground effects/facia dosen't look displaced, you can notice it, but it's slight. I'll take pictures tomorrow.

Edited by bender

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

post-8145-127501483018_thumb.jpgpost-8145-127501488485_thumb.jpgpost-8145-127501496722_thumb.jpg

You'll see how the hitch pushes up slightly on the rear fascia, by about 3/4", and in the one shot you can see how I bent the heat sheild to bolt to the 3/4" plate rather than being sandwiched between the hitch/plate/frame. I wouldn't sandwich the heat shield between anything your going to be pulling with for the record, it will just cause problems later on in your vehicles life.

The hitch is a Hidden Hitch for a regular Edge (and I believe the Draw Tite is exactly the same hitch), a hitch for the sport wasn't available at the time and I don't know if one is now. I also seen in another thread the poster was asking how the edge towed with the 22's, I think it tows great with the bigger wheels and the suspension seems able to handle the 350lbs tongue weight with little effort.

Edited by bender
  • Like 1