Which wire to tap to dim new stereo?

I"m getting ready to buy and install a new stereo. I think I"m getting the Kenwood DDX 514 along with some Polk speakers. I am getting a wiring harness but from reading through the forums, there isn't a dimmer wire going to radio wiring harness so I need to tap it from somewhere else.

I'm very comfortable doing installation work. I've been messing around with it for over 20 years. I just figured I'd ask here and save myself some trouble :-). I was thinking about tapping one of the wires that goes to the AC control. Surely there's a wire there that controls illumination of the gauges. I could just wire up a toggle, but I want the radio to dim automatically with the lights.

Any help would be awesome!

Since that radio doesnt have any navagation on it you can go with the basic metra harness part number 70-5520. You could be able to get this at your local best buy. You will also need the dash kit and the antenna adaptor also. The dash kit is needed since that aftermarket is still a little undersized from the factory. I did the kvt-512 and that is the harness that i used. And mine still stays on until i open the door. I have an 09 egde sport for reference.

If you want to be able to do the dimmer with the existing harness you will need one of the expensive harnesses that include the navagation wires. In this vehicle at the radio the dimmer and those are can-bus. However you can go to the parking light circuit and get the wire there to do the same thing. all that will happen with an aftermarket radio is dim once you turn the lights on. you can not adjust the fade like the factory. If you look for the parking light wire my sources call it out as a violet/white wire int he drivers kick panel. This wire will go from 0 to 12 volt when you turn on the radio. USE A DMM WHILE TESTING THIS (there may be many wires of this color in that area).

Since that radio doesnt have any navagation on it you can go with the basic metra harness part number 70-5520. You could be able to get this at your local best buy. You will also need the dash kit and the antenna adaptor also. The dash kit is needed since that aftermarket is still a little undersized from the factory. I did the kvt-512 and that is the harness that i used. And mine still stays on until i open the door. I have an 09 egde sport for reference.

If you want to be able to do the dimmer with the existing harness you will need one of the expensive harnesses that include the navagation wires. In this vehicle at the radio the dimmer and those are can-bus. However you can go to the parking light circuit and get the wire there to do the same thing. all that will happen with an aftermarket radio is dim once you turn the lights on. you can not adjust the fade like the factory. If you look for the parking light wire my sources call it out as a violet/white wire int he drivers kick panel. This wire will go from 0 to 12 volt when you turn on the radio. USE A DMM WHILE TESTING THIS (there may be many wires of this color in that area).

Thanks for the response. I know that I can't get the dimmer function to work like the factory radio. I know that all I can do is get the aftermarket radio to accept a signal to dim it's lights and that I can't adjust it with the dash switch. I am ordering from crutchfield so they'll send me the wiring harness and the adapter kit(s) to make the unit fit. So there isn't a wire back there that will trigger a 12V signal to when the lights come on? I know that's all I need to make the unit dim. I have a DMM and can find a wire, I was just asking here so that I wouldn't have to go through the trouble :yup:

• 3 weeks later...