Dealer wants 100 bucks to change fog bulbs! How did you change yours?

Hi all,

I'm new here, just traded in my Escape for a new tuxedo black metallic 2010 Edge last month and love it so far!

I'm hoping some of you handy smart guys and girls here can help, since I've read many of you have changed your fog lights yourself.

I already changed my headlight bulbs to whiter (with a very slight blue tint) bulbs and have ultra-violet bulbs I'd like to replace the fogs with.

When I called my dealership they made it seem easy enough, just stop by and they'd switch them for me in a few minutes and most likely wouldn't charge and if so it wouldn't be very much. But when I get there, they tell me it'll take over an hour and cost 100 bucks! To change a light bulb??

If I hadn't just wasted my day off sitting in traffic on the 405 to get there I would have laughed. So now I'm back home hoping I can just do this myself...

Despite after reading many instructions, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong?

I can easily see and reach the driver's side fog light from the hood, in my book it says to turn it counter-clockwise to remove. I can turn it only a little bit and it won't turn any further without feeling like I'm about to break something.

There is also a plastic tab in the way. How did you all get the bulbs out? Once they're out is there anything else difficult?

I know for the passenger side you have to remove the splash shield so hopefully that part won't be hard. I plan to do the driver's side one first so I'll know what to do on the passenger side.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help! I'll be the first to admit I definitely do not know my way around a car, so please feel free to explain as if you're talking to a five year old... :P

Also, here are some before and after pics of the headlights in case anyone's curious. Sorry the first one was taken in the daytime so it's hard to tell. Will post pics of the fog lights when / if I get them in...!

post-9104-126871615522_thumb.jpg

post-9104-126871616421_thumb.jpg

Edited by chloe13

You need to take the wiring harness off the bulb first before you can fully turn them...

Thank you drgnhurt! Much appreciated. Feel kind of dumb now, that is one very small yet important step my book failed to mention needed to be done first.

Trying to undo both clips on the harness with one hand is kind of tricky huh? I was able to get my driver's side done in less than 5 minutes, we'll see how long the passenger side takes...

• 1 month later...

Thank you drgnhurt! Much appreciated. Feel kind of dumb now, that is one very small yet important step my book failed to mention needed to be done first.

Trying to undo both clips on the harness with one hand is kind of tricky huh? I was able to get my driver's side done in less than 5 minutes, we'll see how long the passenger side takes...

Hi,

Just curious on what type and make you got for the bulbs you used, it looks great on the photos you posted. Have you replaced your fog lights too and it would be nice to see them too. Great job..

• 2 weeks later...

I just changed my Driving light bulbs. (silverstar H11) Great change in my wallet for $40, little change in light.

When I disconnected the stock bulb BOTH were broken (NOT BY ME) they worked just would have failed sometime soon

Access them from the underside of the car. 7/32 socket and 3 screws on each side

simple process. If you are not happy with the level of light you might bring it up a couple degrees

also done from underside with a torks bit T15 one single screw from the right side

If the Stealership wants a $100 they are NOT your friend. Total job start to finish was 25 minutes

I drove and adjusted my lights several times, that took the time

if anyone is in So Cal (949) I'm Willing to help if needed, buy me Carls Jr dinner.

not offing a install service just willing to help people

GL

Edited by Picturepro

Thank you Picturepro, I agree about the 'stealership' not really being my friend after all! At least not after I already bought the car huh...

That day after getting home from the dealer, I ended up changing both of the fogs myself :shades:

(This is a big accomplishment coming from a 22 year old female that knows NOTHING about cars)

Thank god for teeny hands, I was able to change both the driver side and passenger side fog lights from the hood and didn't need to use a single tool (also good because I don't own any!)

sirteman, I used Luminics bulbs in "Titanium white" H11s for my low beams. The website I ordered them from includes a one year warranty on all bulbs (luminicsbulbs.com) I really love them so far, looks a million times better than stock! Had them in for a few months no problems. My dad got the same ones for his 08 Mustang with good results as well.

I used the "Ultra Violet" H11s for my fogs and they do look much better than stock bulbs, but they're not really the kind of purple I was hoping for. They suggested I use their Krypton series bulbs for more color if that's what you're looking for. Will take pics tonight of the fogs too. Hope that helps!

I just changed my Driving light bulbs. (silverstar H11) Great change in my wallet for $40, little change in light.

When I disconnected the stock bulb BOTH were broken (NOT BY ME) they worked just would have failed sometime soon

Access them from the underside of the car. 7/32 socket and 3 screws on each side

simple process. If you are not happy with the level of light you might bring it up a couple degrees

also done from underside with a torks bit T15 one single screw from the right side

If the Stealership wants a $100 they are NOT your friend. Total job start to finish was 25 minutes

I drove and adjusted my lights several times, that took the time

if anyone is in So Cal (949) I'm Willing to help if needed, buy me Carls Jr dinner.

not offing a install service just willing to help people

GL

Edited by chloe13