Plastic Piece on Bottom of Front Bumper

How do I remove the bottom piece of the front bumper? (The useless piece under where the fog lights are) Took a look at it this morning and just want to be certain of what I am doing before I potentially destroy something that could be necessary/important.

Hi lovemyedge. :D Not exactly sure which "bottom piece" you are describing. If you are referring to the "splash shield", then it is not useless and should not be permanently removed. Its purpose is both aerodynamic and for protection of components in that area from water and other debris ((i.e. the foglight housings and other components in the lower engine compartment).

If you are only removing it temporarily to gain access to the foglights or another area, then you simply remove the bolts/fasteners holding it on. But be sure to reinstall it.

If you are referring to some other "piece" then please try to provide more detail or a picture.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

The very bottom 1" plastic part that just looks like an extension to the bumper/fog light housing.

Hi lovemy edge. :D Are you describing the lower edges of the front airdam? If you are, here is my advice: The components comprising the lower end of the front airdam are also there for aerodynamic purposes. To explain it simply, Ford (and other automakers) do not install "useless parts". If they could save 10 cents per vehicle by eliminating a "useless part", they would.

I guess it would help if we knew what you are trying to achieve by removing it? Is it in the way of some other modification you want to perform? Or are you just removing it because you think it is "useless" and feel like removing it?

My recommendation would be to leave it alone, as it is there for a reason/serves a function.

However, if you are dead set on removing it, then simply remove what ever fasteners are holding it on. If it is fastened with bolts or screws, unscrew them. If it is fastened with rivets, drill them out. If it is held on with plastic push-pin type fasteners, pick up a trim removal tool at your local auto parts store to remove them (about $8-$10, tops). But again, it would be best to leave it alone.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

This is the piece.

Hi lovemyedge. :D My previous replies and questions still stand. It serves an aerodynamic function. Simple explanation: It decreases airflow beneath the vehicle, which reduces drag and lift, thus increasing fuel mileage at mid to highway speeds.

Again, without knowing why you want to remove it, the best advice is to leave it alone.

If you still want/need to remove it, as mentioned previously you simply need to remove whatever type fasteners are attaching it.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Sorry, I thought my response to your question was in there, must have erased it or something. - It would just provide me with a little more clearance in the front. I love taking my Edge off road...dirt, mud, snow, anything basically...and the extra inch of space wouldn't hurt since that piece has been hit numerous times. Maybe just take it off while I'm goofing around and just re-attach it when I'm done? Thanks for all your advice by the way, it is definitely appreciated.