Edge A/c system

daveknapp2000

Ac is a simple yet complex system, if you recharge it with one of those store bought recharge kits then you run the risk of really messing up the system. Alot of those kits also have leak sealer in them that can cause hell with a ac system. Chances are the ac system isn't completely empty and if you use one of those kits you will overcharge it. Normnally a ac system doesn't lose oil, even with a very large leak the amount of oil that is lost is myabe an ounce or 2, if you recharge with one of the kits that has a couple of ounces in it then you will overcharge the system with oil which can and will cause damage. Another thing to keep in mind that all pag oil is not the same, there are different weights adn using the wrong oil cna be catastrophic. Too much ac oil in the system causes poor cooling and can drastically shorten the life of the compressor. Todays ac ssytems are very critical on correct refrigerant charge, this can not be accomplished by looking at gauge pressures, there are 2 many variables involved that makes it impossible for the diyer to even come close to being right. Your best bet is to return what you bought and have a professional do it.....chances are it will save you money in the long run.

I do ac for a living here in Arizona so I know what I am talking about, a little more money spent now will save you a bunch in the long run.

FWIW total system oil charge is 4 ounces.

Unless a component is changed oil doesn't have to be added,(dryer,evap,condensor,compressor)unless a major leak has occured.Too much oil is no good as it changes the volume of gas in the system and could also damage the compressor valve plates. Marty

Unless a component is changed oil doesn't have to be added,(dryer,evap,condensor,compressor)unless a major leak has occured.Too much oil is no good as it changes the volume of gas in the system and could also damage the compressor valve plates. Marty

so changed the ac condensor as a rock hit it and cracked one of the veins and the freon came out. replaced part and evacuated/vacuumed the system out. looking to find what type and how much oil I should place into the system for the 2007 ford edge.

Sorry I can't copy and paste the chart. 2oz for the condensor,Marty

Refrigerant Oil Adding

NOTICE: During normal Air Conditioning (A/C) operation, oil is circulated through the system with the refrigerant, and a small amount is retained in each component. If certain components of the system are removed, some of the refrigerant oil will go with the component. To maintain the original total oil charge, it is necessary to compensate for the oil lost by adding oil to the system with the new part.

1. Refer to the chart below for refrigerant oil adding amounts and methods of installation.

Edited by Depiry