Rear Cargo Net mod

Always hated the rubber bin I kept in the trunk that held my beach towel, run shoes & hat, and misc junk. Well, at a local SoCal street fair I found these guys cool mesh zipper bungee bags - and got to thinking of a way to ditch the bin and make a cool hanging holder for my gear.

They make several sizes and were having 2 for 1 sale so I bought 1 for the FJ40 and 1 for my Edge. For the Edge I used the 2815 size as it fit perfect on the 60 side (driver) of the 60/40 split seats we have.

Why do I call this a mod? Because I had to mod the product.

I knew that the back of the seat backs were fabric and pretty much the soft side of velcro is what it is like... so I got to thinking and I suspected I could just sew on 2" velcro all across the top of the bag, and 3/4 down each side and nothing on the bottom and this is because I need to be able to fold the seats down and that floating piece that covers the hinge of the last 8" of the seats needs to be able to move/float. So, if I Velcroed to that, not seats dropping easy. Plus, the velcro top and sides is plenty strong!

It worked perfect. Hangs nice and snug. clean install, not more sliding rubber bin, things can dry. can still drop the seats with the electric button and can quick remove as the velcro just unvelcros.

post-2453-127293372665_thumb.png

post-2453-127293377712_thumb.png

Edited by Lex Talionis

Always hated the rubber bin I kept in the trunk that held my beach towel, run shoes & hat, and misc junk. Well, at a local SoCal street fair I found these guys cool mesh zipper bungee bags - and got to thinking of a way to ditch the bin and make a cool hanging holder for my gear.

They make several sizes and were having 2 for 1 sale so I bought 1 for the FJ40 and 1 for my Edge. For the Edge I used the 2815 size as it fit perfect on the 60 side (driver) of the 60/40 split seats we have.

Why do I call this a mod? Because I had to mod the product.

I knew that the back of the seat backs were fabric and pretty much the soft side of velcro is what it is like... so I got to thinking and I suspected I could just sew on 2" velcro all across the top of the bag, and 3/4 down each side and nothing on the bottom and this is because I need to be able to fold the seats down and that floating piece that covers the hinge of the last 8" of the seats needs to be able to move/float. So, if I Velcroed to that, not seats dropping easy. Plus, the velcro top and sides is plenty strong!

It worked perfect. Hangs nice and snug. clean install, not more sliding rubber bin, things can dry. can still drop the seats with the electric button and can quick remove as the velcro just unvelcros.

cool!