Rotting chrome clad wheels, IDEAS ??

ruckdork

I have a 2007 AWD with the notorious rotting 18" chrome clad wheels.

I happened to find a brand new set of rims still in the box locally. I bought them and had them installed. It cost me a few bucks swapping of the pressure monitor sensors and balancing.

They look fantastic !!! They haven't seen but a few miles, just driving it home. I want to prevent the new wheels from corroding...

I noticed while washing them. When you think the wheel is dry, water also seems to keep flowing out onto the wheel edge.

My question is, is there any ideas to preventing the new wheels from corroding like the old ones?? I was looking at the design of theses wheels, and it seems like dirty, salty, brake dusty water from the inside of the rim flows outward under the chrome cladding and on to the rim edge where it eventually rots out.

Other wheels on my other cars have some sort of lip molded in the rim to prevent this.

I was thinking a sealant under or behind the cladding may work, but I am wondering if that will screw up the balance ?

Any thoughts.

post-8804-127306393623_thumb.jpg

I have a 2007 AWD with the notorious rotting 18" chrome clad wheels.

I happened to find a brand new set of rims still in the box locally. I bought them and had them installed. It cost me a few bucks swapping of the pressure monitor sensors and balancing.

They look fantastic !!! They haven't seen but a few miles, just driving it home. I want to prevent the new wheels from corroding...

I noticed while washing them. When you think the wheel is dry, water also seems to keep flowing out onto the wheel edge.

My question is, is there any ideas to preventing the new wheels from corroding like the old ones?? I was looking at the design of theses wheels, and it seems like dirty, salty, brake dusty water from the inside of the rim flows outward under the chrome cladding and on to the rim edge where it eventually rots out.

Other wheels on my other cars have some sort of lip molded in the rim to prevent this.

I was thinking a sealant under or behind the cladding may work, but I am wondering if that will screw up the balance ?

Any thoughts.

Can't see much, please resize the picture to 1024X768 or smaller,

ab