Backup Camera and Wireless Setup

JustSmitty

I have been looking into getting a backup camera for my 2010 Edge, and I came across both of these items that makes it look like it would be a good price and pretty easy to install. I wanted to see if any of you had an opinion on these before I took the plung and ordered them. Thanks for any tips/help/thoughts you might have.

Wireless Kit

Camera

JustSmitty

1. "wireless" is not what you think. you still must wire this camera into a power source AND ground it AND wire it into your harness so that the camera knows when you have shifted into reverse. so, all this "wireless" does is stop you from having to run 1 wire, the 10 foot wire to your head unit and having done a camera install, that 10 foot wire is about the easiest of the 3 to run frankly.

2. how do you plan to mount that camera? those cams are designed so that you drill a big hole in your bumper and put this into the bumper - they have no swivel mount. a better setup is one under the license plate overhang (where the plate light are) that angles down for a better field of view.

you need to find my backup camera install thread and read it - camera details, install details, etc. I looked at all these systems and cams and ended up with a nicer cam, mounts hidden under the license plate overhang so no bumper drilling, looks factory, better quality camera, and like I said, the whole "wireless" - is hardly that.

if it were me, I would bail on this system.

here you go

I know you have a 2010 and mine is 2008, but the principles and hook up are pretty much the same. On yours, I think you have a camera hook-up, so the box is not needed. But the camera, routing, wiring, etc are all valuable info.

Thanks for all of the info. I will start going over your setup and see where that gets me. Thanks again.

you might also consider a license plate camera like those by Boyo or XO Vision.. easy to install those and no cutting your bumper as you already have a license plate bracket in place. that would be a simple an install as you could get. I sold an XO vision here to another user a while back who really liked it.

OR

er65nsunny recently posted that he took the newer model Ford emblem/camera and retrofitted it onto his Edge. likely a pretty pricey piece, but is an option.

I would forgo the entire wireless route - given it only saves 1 wire and those wireless signal senders are more costly than just running the wire. also, I have read about interference issues and just lack of quality issues for signal with wireless.