Towing my new T@B travel trailer with the Edge

Hi, I currently lease a Lexus IS 250 which I bought just under a year ago. I have registered it on Swapalease and am hoping to transfer the lease out of my name so I can lease or buy the new Ford Escape. Worst case scenario, I'll eat the $3,600 buy out and hope to get into a no money down agreement on the Ford.

I am buying a 2010 travel trailer and Edge fits the criteria. If anyone here has any recommendations concerning tow capacity, performance, etc., I welcome your comments.

Edited by sleeplessinlosangeles

Hi, I currently lease a Lexus IS 250 which I bought just under a year ago. I have registered it on Swapalease and am hoping to transfer the lease out of my name so I can lease or buy the new Ford Escape. Worst case scenario, I'll eat the $3,600 buy out and hope to get into a no money down agreement on the Ford.

I am buying a 2010 travel trailer and Escape fits the criteria. If anyone here has any recommendations concerning tow capacity, performance, etc., I welcome your comments.

I assume you mean Edge and not Escape. There is a section of the forum dedicated to Hauling/Towing. Take a look through some of the topics.

How big is the trailer that you are getting (lenght, weight)? Does it have electric brakes? Do yourself a favor and get an Edge with the towing package.

I assume you mean Edge and not Escape. There is a section of the forum dedicated to Hauling/Towing. Take a look through some of the topics.

How big is the trailer that you are getting (lenght, weight)? Does it have electric brakes? Do yourself a favor and get an Edge with the towing package.

Thanks for catching my error in calling the the Edge the Escape (which I have changed); I've looked at a lot of cars!

The length is 16 feet, the width is 7 feet and the dry weight is around 1600 pounds. The brakes are surge brakes.

I will go to the hauling and towing section, thank you!

Thanks for catching my error in calling the the Edge the Escape (which I have changed); I've looked at a lot of cars!

The length is 16 feet, the width is 7 feet and the dry weight is around 1600 pounds. The brakes are surge brakes.

I will go to the hauling and towing section, thank you!

You'll have no problem towing a 16oo lb trailer, even without the towing package.

If the trailer ball size is small enough that you can tow the trailer will a Calls 2 hitch, then I personally think you'd be nuts not to get the towing package. It gives you the hitch and the 4 pin trailer plug. If you need to upgrade the hitch to a class 3, you can still add one to the Edge and keep the factory hitch installed. I did that on my wife's Edge. There are pictures of it HERE Most of the tread is about installing a brake controller (which you won't need with your surge brakes) but there are 2 pictures at the end with both hitches.

Thanks for the link to the photos: to me, at this stage, it all looks complicated! I'll be looking at the 2010 this weekend but I might hold out for the 2011, depending on the incentives.

One thing I'm worried about is wheel base: is that the right term for distance between front and rear axels? The t@b is so small, I've heard it tends to turn at the slightest movement. I hope the Edge is a good fit for my trailer.

Another thing: how do I refer to the height of the hitch? My friend tows with a Honda CRV and bottoms out on dips. How can I avoid this?

I've attached a picture of the t@b paired with a Beetle! Do not try this at home!

post-9700-127492668311_thumb.png