Hood Deflector

1duFos

Has anybody installed a hood bug-stone deflector? If so do you get any wind noise from it or any other issues with it.

http://www.weathertech.ca/store/mvproduct.aspx?ItemGroupId=5

Thanks

Yes...I've installed the Weatherteck deflector on my wife' 2009 Edge, as well as my daughters 2010 Escape. Of all the deflector's I've installed thus far (5 or so), the Weathertech are the highest quality in my opinion...they fit perfectly...easy to center (have a notch/mark on the underside which matches a notch/mark on the hood) and are more pliable than the others (which to me, translates into lasting longer). Here are some pics:

Good luck...

post-7273-127630902848_thumb.jpg

post-7273-127630906167_thumb.jpg

post-7273-127630911351_thumb.jpg

post-7273-12763091592_thumb.jpg

post-7273-127630919985_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Yes...I've installed the Weatherteck deflector on my wife' 2009 Edge, as well as my daughters 2010 Escape. Of all the deflector's I've installed thus far (5 or so), the Weathertech are the highest quality in my opinion...they fit perfectly...easy to center (have a notch/mark on the underside which matches a notch/mark on the hood) and are more pliable than the others (which to me, translates into lasting longer). Here are some pics:

Good luck...

That looks really sharp!

Question: When I looked into this product in the Weathertech catalogue (came in the box when I bought the laser-fit trunk liner for both vehicles - awesome products!), it said in the description that no drilling was necessary as it used the factory holes. In the instructions, however, it said to use self-tapping screws to pierce the underside of the hood assembly. Which is it? Do you need to make new holes or no? How hard was it to install?

That looks really sharp!

Question: When I looked into this product in the Weathertech catalogue (came in the box when I bought the laser-fit trunk liner for both vehicles - awesome products!), it said in the description that no drilling was necessary as it used the factory holes. In the instructions, however, it said to use self-tapping screws to pierce the underside of the hood assembly. Which is it? Do you need to make new holes or no? How hard was it to install?

HI PW. :D I am not trying to be a wiseguy. I also do not have the directions in front of me as you do. So that being stated upfront, I will try to answer your question by giving a strictly literal interpretation of what you just described to us: Using "self-tapping screws to pierce the underside of the hood assembly" is not drilling. The screws create their own holes without a drill being needed.

So "literally/technically", they are not lying when they state "no drilling is necessary". Yes, that still does not reconcile with the "used the factory holes" part, but again, I don't have the directions in front of me to verify exactly what it says. Is it possible that some of the fasteners use "factory holes" and others are self tapping screws? Just a guess.

I am not defending the loose use of the language in the directions to "mislead" buyers, only pointing out another perspective in the reading.

Good luck. :beerchug:

HI PW. :D I am not trying to be a wiseguy. I also do not have the directions in front of me as you do. So that being stated upfront, I will try to answer your question by giving a strictly literal interpretation of what you just described to us: Using "self-tapping screws to pierce the underside of the hood assembly" is not drilling. The screws create their own holes without a drill being needed.

So "literally/technically", they are not lying when they state "no drilling is necessary". Yes, that still does not reconcile with the "used the factory holes" part, but again, I don't have the directions in front of me to verify exactly what it says. Is it possible that some of the fasteners use "factory holes" and others are self tapping screws? Just a guess.

I am not defending the loose use of the language in the directions to "mislead" buyers, only pointing out another perspective in the reading.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Actually, I wasn't trying to point fault with the verbage but just trying to clarify for my own understanding. So you do have to create new holes rather than using whatever already exists in the hossd inner panel... Got it. I just get a little bit apprehensive at the idea of putting holes in the sheet metal only to find out that it's crooked or something else stupid (on my end, that is).

Over all, are you happy with it and how painless (or painful) was the installation?

That looks really sharp!

Hi PW...

I read the same thing, and I interpreted the instructions to mean you didn't have to use the screws; you could only use the two sided tape to hold the bug shield in place. (I didn't like that idea). I may have read the instructions wrong...it's been a while.

In any event, drilling the pilot holes for the screws was not a big deal...very easy to do. I'd offer to use a 'punch' (if I'm referring to it correctly) to mark the spot to drill...this will also keep the drill bit from 'walking'. Be sure to use a drill bit which is somewhat smaller than the screw...you can always make the hole bigger, but can't make it smaller. I'd also offer to put a stop on the drill bit to make certain the bit doesn't go too far in...to deep...when drilling. I used a piece of old hose I had laying around...I cut it to a length that when placed over the drill bit, it only allowed for a small portion of the bit (1/4 inch or so) to be exposed.

Hope this makes sense... Good luck.