Strange Question about headlights!!

jez34

Hi

I have a 2008 Edge and have a bit of a strange problem. I want to be able to have the headlights completely off in the dark, whilst the ignition is on. Reason for this is so I can have air con operating whilst at drive in movies, but not have any lights on distracting other people.

I have tried turning auto light option off, but headlights still come on (not very brightly, but on never the less) if i have ignition on and its dark.

I went to a ford garage and asked them but they said there was no way of having lights completely off if ignition was on if its dark, they seemed unsure though.

A strange question I know, but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Jez

Hi

I have a 2008 Edge and have a bit of a strange problem. I want to be able to have the headlights completely off in the dark, whilst the ignition is on. Reason for this is so I can have air con operating whilst at drive in movies, but not have any lights on distracting other people.

I have tried turning auto light option off, but headlights still come on (not very brightly, but on never the less) if i have ignition on and its dark.

I went to a ford garage and asked them but they said there was no way of having lights completely off if ignition was on if its dark, they seemed unsure though.

A strange question I know, but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Jez

The headlight switch has 4 positions (L to R) - Auto, Off (straight up), Parking lights only and On. Make sure the switch is in the OFF position and the lights will not come on.

If that doesn't work do you have DRLs? Perhaps there is is something with the DRL logic that turns them on even if the switch is off.

Sounds like you have DRLs activated. Just push on the parking brake, that will turn them off.

You'd think they would deactivate at night (using the dash sensor). I can just see someone thinking their lights are on when it's just the DRLs (no taillights).

Then again I don''t like DRLs or think they're necessary in the first place.

You'd think they would deactivate at night (using the dash sensor). I can just see someone thinking their lights are on when it's just the DRLs (no taillights).

Then again I don''t like DRLs or think they're necessary in the first place.

It's ok akirby, everyone is wrong once in a while. If you don't turn on your headlights, you don't have any dash lights either. Unless you're in a car with dash lights that are always on (like Toyota's and the Ford Flex) in which case you would not realize the headlights aren't on regardless of having DRLs or not.

As someone who drives regularly in Canada and the US, I find the frequency of Americans driving around without headlights when they should be (dusk, rain conditions) to be equal or greater to the number of Canadians driving around with only DRLs on under the same conditions.

Someday stop by my house in the early morning and I'll take you for a ride in my Miata with it's plastic rear window. When you drive west with the sun behind you, the ONLY thing that can be seen is headlights, even though it's clearly not a time when full lights are required.