AC recharge kit doesn't fit

zenlakin

I have a 2007 lincoln mkx that I want to recharge the AC and the recharge kit I have doesn't fit to the port that I see under the hood on the front passenger side. Is this the port I should be using or is the refill port somewhere else?? The port I am speaking of on the car is too big and the coupler on the AC recharge kit won't fit around it...

I have a 2007 lincoln mkx that I want to recharge the AC and the recharge kit I have doesn't fit to the port that I see under the hood on the front passenger side. Is this the port I should be using or is the refill port somewhere else?? The port I am speaking of on the car is too big and the coupler on the AC recharge kit won't fit around it...

Your probably are on the wrong port. The AC has a low side ( the one you should be using) and a high side which is larger specifically for this reason. You do not want to try to service the high side. Look and see if there happens to be an H on the cap that came off the valve you are working on.

The low pressure port is under the wiper cowling on the passenger side near the firewall. There are a number of how-to videos on the web.

Here's a good series of videos: http://www.ehow.com/video_2328375_tools-recharge-auto-ac-system.html

Thanks guys. I did find the port. Now I am having an issue with pressure. I followed the directions on the can and I first checked that I had pressure so I turned the valve off and started the car, let it run for 3 minutes like the instructions said, then I connected the can to the port and it showed that there was pressure.

Next I started opening up the valve like the instructions said and then the pressure went to zero and now it doesn't appear that the can is pushing any of the fluid to the AC system. I also tried disconnecting and reconnecting the can to the low pressure port and there is no sound or pressure or anything.

Any suggestions??

If the pressure went to zero, it sounds like the valve was closed.

2. With the hose assembly disconnected from the vehicle, retract the can piercing needle on the valve turning counter-clockwise. This will allow you to attach the can to the valve without piercing it. This is also the valve's open position.
  3. Attach the can to the valve.
  4. Attach the connector to the low port.
  5. Turn the valve completely clockwise to pierce the can. This is the closed position and will not release refrigerant.
  6. Turn the valve counter-clockwise again to release the refrigerant.
  7. With the valve facing up, agitate the can slowly by rotating it 90 degrees. The can will get very cold as refrigerant is released.
  8. The gauge will waver depending on whether the compressor is running.
  9. When done, if the can is not empty, turn the valve completely clockwise to the closed position.
  10. Release the connector from the low port.
  11. Store the can with the hose assembly attached with the valve in the closed position.

Edited by Franklee

If the pressure went to zero, it sounds like the valve was closed.

2. With the hose assembly disconnected from the vehicle, retract the can piercing needle on the valve turning counter-clockwise. This will allow you to attach the can to the valve without piercing it. This is also the valve's open position.
  3. Attach the can to the valve.
  4. Attach the connector to the low port.
  5. Turn the valve completely clockwise to pierce the can. This is the closed position and will not release refrigerant.
  6. Turn the valve counter-clockwise again to release the refrigerant.
  7. With the valve facing up, agitate the can slowly by rotating it 90 degrees. The can will get very cold as refrigerant is released.
  8. The gauge will waver depending on whether the compressor is running.
  9. When done, if the can is not empty, turn the valve completely clockwise to the closed position.
  10. Release the connector from the low port.
  11. Store the can with the hose assembly attached with the valve in the closed position.

I am going to try it again when it cools down but I have already gone through those steps and the can is already pierced and all of that good stuff but when I attach it to the low port on the car it seems as though nothing is happening. The can doesn't get cold, the pressure gauge doesn't change at all. I ensured that the piercing valve was turned all the way counterclockwise and still nothing. And right now when I get in the car and turn on the AC there is no cold air coming out what-so-ever....

I'm out of ideas.

Look for the A/C label on the radiator cover. It will tell you how many pounds of refrigerant required. (I think mine says 1.2 lbs.) If your system is truely empty, and if you figure out your problem, you can calculate how many 12 ozs cans are required to refill it.

Also, what kind of changing kit do you have? Post a pic if you can. I bought this Quest gauge/hose to charge our '96 GM and had no issues.

401GMCS.jpg

Edited by Franklee