Picked up the new Edge.. and a few minor issues

Z4forEdge

Okay, so picked up the 2010 Ford Edge Limited AWD today. I said goodbye to my baby ('05 BMW Z4). All in all it looked pretty good despite a few issues. First I noticed some scratches in the chrome strip at the base of the back window. After looking closer I noticed a spot of rust the size of a pin head there. So it looks like the detail guy tried to remove the rust but ended up scratching it up. So I pointed it out to the salesman and he said "No problem, we'll talk to the service department and they'll replace that." So cool, good to hear. The best part was.. that as he is talking to the service guy they are talking about replacing all of them. As I look closer and ask about it, it turns out the salesman noticed smaller dots of rust on all of the chrome strips. So all of them will be replaced. I thought it was great that the salesman saw that and was making sure that was fixed too.

Unfortunately also found a scratch in the front bumper and the doors on the passenger side are misaligned. The misalignment was kind of disappointing to see because really that's something they should have caught at the factory. (I worked in an automotive manufacturing plant for 10 yrs, so yeah it should have been caught). Oh and there was an issue with weather stripping at the base of one of the small back windows as well. That too will get replaced when they do the chrome strips.

The rust may have come off the rail cars they think and just settled into the chrome. This apparently happens now and then but not necessarily to this degree. I'm not going to complain too badly though because they really took care of me. As I requested they tossed in a set of the Edge floor mats at no charge and gave me a free oil change. Yeah, I know some places will give you as many as 5 free oil changes. But with what they did for me on my trade-in and all that... I am one satisfied customer.

Already went for a short trip in it today and I love it. At higher speeds it's nice and smooth and it's nice to see above some of the other traffic for once.

Happy motoring!

I get paranoid on the internet about saying too much so I'll just say this. For those that know. The Ford dealership that moved to the new auto mall is the place to go. The one out by Costco... not so much.

Okay, so picked up the 2010 Ford Edge Limited AWD today. I said goodbye to my baby ('05 BMW Z4). All in all it looked pretty good despite a few issues. First I noticed some scratches in the chrome strip at the base of the back window. After looking closer I noticed a spot of rust the size of a pin head there. So it looks like the detail guy tried to remove the rust but ended up scratching it up. So I pointed it out to the salesman and he said "No problem, we'll talk to the service department and they'll replace that." So cool, good to hear. The best part was.. that as he is talking to the service guy they are talking about replacing all of them. As I look closer and ask about it, it turns out the salesman noticed smaller dots of rust on all of the chrome strips. So all of them will be replaced. I thought it was great that the salesman saw that and was making sure that was fixed too.

Unfortunately also found a scratch in the front bumper and the doors on the passenger side are misaligned. The misalignment was kind of disappointing to see because really that's something they should have caught at the factory. (I worked in an automotive manufacturing plant for 10 yrs, so yeah it should have been caught). Oh and there was an issue with weather stripping at the base of one of the small back windows as well. That too will get replaced when they do the chrome strips.

The rust may have come off the rail cars they think and just settled into the chrome. This apparently happens now and then but not necessarily to this degree. I'm not going to complain too badly though because they really took care of me. As I requested they tossed in a set of the Edge floor mats at no charge and gave me a free oil change. Yeah, I know some places will give you as many as 5 free oil changes. But with what they did for me on my trade-in and all that... I am one satisfied customer.

Already went for a short trip in it today and I love it. At higher speeds it's nice and smooth and it's nice to see above some of the other traffic for once.

Happy motoring!

I get paranoid on the internet about saying too much so I'll just say this. For those that know. The Ford dealership that moved to the new auto mall is the place to go. The one out by Costco... not so much.

It's called rail dust and can be removed with a clay bar. It shouldn't damage the paint if you remove it correctly.

It's called rail dust and can be removed with a clay bar. It shouldn't damage the paint if you remove it correctly.

Yeah, well as I mentioned that's what they said it was. But they had obviously tried real hard to get it off the chrome strips and it wouldn't budge. So the dust became a little more than that on the chrome. Whether they tried a clay bar or what they tried I've got no idea. All the chrome is going to be replaced so it's all good.

Now today I also noticed at the base of the hatch, right at the edge, there was some dirt in the paint. I'm not sure what all Ford does for their painting process but in my experience it looks like it could be dirt or possibly a drip from the coating process prior to painting (if they do an ED coating prior to painting). Again, really something that should get caught. Working in the paint shop one of the quality checks we would always do was to run your hand along the edges, doing that this spot would have been caught. BUT, again.. I'm still happy and still love my Edge!

So it'll have an appointment with the service guys and also spend some time in the body shop too. Then she'll be all purdy.

Edited by Z4forEdge